Let me make one thing clear. Creating 100% fruit-sweetened bars that don’t taste like cardboard is no easy task. This recipe may win the award for most recipe trials in one week. I finally got it right, however, and if you’re looking for a bar with no added sugar whatsoever, this is the recipe for you. I was going to call these Pear Blondies, but then I realized that blondies sounds way too much like dessert and people may assume they are going to get a super-sweet-dessert-like bar. For most people, these are probably more like a breakfast or snack bar. So Pear Oatmeal Bars seemed like a more fitting name.
These are naturally sweet, meaning they have a subtle sweetness that doesn’t overtake the bars. They pair perfectly with my morning coffee and the kids have been loving them for a snack as well. Well, Luke said, “I like the cake part. But you eat the pears” and picked out all of the pear chunks. That’s a 4-year-old for you, I guess.
If you are doing the Cut the Sugar Challenge and are craving something sweet, these will work well for dessert. They happen to be vegan and gluten-free, as well. The texture is not dry at all (you know the word I’m going for here, right?) and the spices compliment the pears well.
I hope these Pear Oatmeal Bars will help you stick to your goals in the Cut the Sugar Challenge. They have definitely helped me, even though five batches later I may have eaten one too many. 😉
- 4 medium pears, divided
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup almond butter, cashew butter, or peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper with overhang or aluminum foil and lightly oil the foil.
- Make a pear puree by blending 2 pears. I did not peel the pears, but if your blender isn't powerful you may want to peel them first. You should have 1 cup pear puree.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup pear puree, the apple sauce, nut butter, and vanilla.
- Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, flour, oats, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Peel and dice the two remaining pears. Stir in the diced pears.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Enjoy!