Looking for a mouthwatering appetizer or a delicious side dish that’s both crispy and healthy? Try Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus!
Who doesn’t love bacon? Anything is better wrapped in bacon, including asparagus.
Today, I’ll pass on my fantastic air fryer bacon-wrapped asparagus recipe to you. The recipe is so simple and quick you’ll feel like you barely put in some effort. Perfect for busy weeknights, right?
Serve it with your favorite dip, or have it as is. This recipe can be served for breakfast with eggs, as an appetizer, snack, or a dinner side dish.
Now, let’s get to the yummy part – the ingredient list and the recipe.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
Asparagus is a nutritious vegetable with a lot of health benefits. It’s low in calories, has a good amount of fiber, and is high in vitamin K and folate. We will be using 24-30 fresh asparagus spears. If you’re dealing with asparagus for the first time, let me help you a bit. You can eat asparagus stalks whole, provided you snap off the tougher, woodier end. So, you’ll have to trim asparagus stalks from where the green color turns white. Also, the thickness of the asparagus stalk will determine how long you should cook it. Thicker asparagus spears are full of fiber and take a bit more time to cook.
We’ll be using 8-10 bacon strips. Because processed meat can be harmful to our health, I always buy uncured bacon. I highly recommend using uncured bacon whenever you indulge in delicious bacon! Bacon brings a smoky flavor to this dish, and it also helps keep the asparagus spears in place. Plus, who doesn’t love crispy bacon?
We only need a teaspoon of avocado oil. I find it works best with an air fryer to spray the food with cooking for an even cook and crunchy texture. Avocado oil is a great option as it has a high smoke point. Also, it works well for air frying. You can use olive oil if that’s what you prefer. But don’t spray it directly into the air fryer basket or tray.
Why only a teaspoon? You only need a small amount with an air fryer and you’ll already have some bacon grease in there, which will help to fry the bacon-wrapped asparagus even better.
Nothing beats the flavor of garlic powder. Fresh garlic can burn easily in the air fryer, so garlic powder works better. It’s also less pungent than fresh garlic and has a slightly sweeter taste. We’ll only sprinkle a little bit – half a teaspoon, to be exact.
Salt is used to season the asparagus and bring out all the flavors of this dish.
In for some kick? Paprika adds a bright flavor and vibrant color. We’ll be using just half a teaspoon of paprika to bring the flavors together.
How to Make Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
The recipe is a quick fix. Follow these few easy steps for the perfect side dish.
- Deal with your asparagus stalk first. Chop off the woody ends and coat the spears with spices. Drizzle oil and toss to evenly coat everything.
- Hold together three spears and wrap a slice of bacon around tightly as shown below.
- Place these asparagus bundles (you’ll get eight) in your preheated air fryer. Always put them in a single layer. Overlapping will create steaming and not frying.
- Air fry for the instructed cooking time (there’s a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post), and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have an air fryer or you simply enjoy baked dishes better, you can use your oven. Follow the recipe till you have your bacon-wrapped bunch of asparagus, and then slide it into the oven to cook for 30 minutes. Four hundred degrees F is the temperature you need. Always use a baking sheet and if you have a baking tray to place the bacon-wrapped asparagus on, that will work best.
- Adjust the total cook time according to the thickness of your spears and bacon slices. The type of air fryer you have will also make a difference.
- Pick bright, plump, and firm asparagus stalks. Limp ones are no good. Bonus points for the store if they have fresh, stored-in-water ones or if you can find some at your local farmer’s market!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Bacon Can I Use?
I always recommend using uncured bacon when possible. I also prefer bacon without added sugar. Turkey bacon will also work here.
What Other Seasonings Can I Use?
Oh, there is so much you can add to bacon asparagus recipes. Cayenne pepper, lemon juice, black pepper, and onion powder are a few I use. If you really want a unique flavor for your tasty side dish, try adding a little brown sugar. (Will be less healthy, yes, but delicious!) Maple syrup (brush lightly on top) and Parmesan cheese are good options, too.
How to Store Leftovers?
Leftovers are a rare occurrence. But if you have any, you can store them in an airtight container. Keep them in the fridge, and they’ll stay fresh for three days.
How to Reheat the Leftovers?
It’s simple. Reheat your yummy bacon wraps in your air fryer for 5 minutes using the reheat feature. It’s the best way and will give you the best results.
I hope this recipe earns you a round of applause from your friends and family. Good luck, chef!
If you liked the recipe, and decide to give it a try, do let me know your feedback! Please leave a comment and star rating below. Share your photo on Instagram and I’ll feature you! Make sure to tag me so I don’t miss it.
If you want more air fryer recipes, scroll below the recipe card to see the other delicious options I’ve created!Print
More Air Fryer Recipes
I use this air fryer and recommend it! All of my recipes have been tested using this type of air fryer, but the basket type will work as well.
Skip the French Fries and make these carrot fries!
Air Fryer Apples
These cinnamon apples make a delicious dessert, snack, or side dish!
This is a delicious summer side dish that’s super quick!
Fish is so delicious cooked in the air fryer! This is a must make!
Guess what? These delicious chicken cutlets are gluten free!
When you just want asparagus without the bacon, this is the recipe you need!
Links to products are affiliate links. Thank you!