This is the Best Grilled Chicken Recipe ever! It’s succulent, juicy, and comes together in just 30 minutes. Make this incredible chicken for all occasions and watch everyone devour it.
Raise your hand if you get in a recipe rut and can’t think of what to make next? I have been there many times myself, but this Greek-inspired chicken is a real game-changer. It’s marinated in lemon juice, garlic, and seasoning, so it leaves you with tangy comfort food that’s irresistible.
Cooking the chicken on the grill takes it to a whole new level that you just can’t get from pan frying. Plus, it’s always fun to fire up the grill and enjoy a cold Skinny Watermelon Margarita or Spicy Jalapeno Margarita while cooking.
When I’m not making this grilled chicken recipe, I’ll be trying chicken spiedies. Bring on grilling season!
- Lemon Juice – Using fresh lemon juice will give you that zesty flavor that is irresistible. Plus, it’s a great source of antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, and folate.
- Avocado Oil – I like to use avocado oil because it’s filled with vitamin E and is so much healthier than other options. However, you are welcome to use olive oil or any other oil you like.
- Garlic – This is where the flavor of the chicken really starts to shine! I use around 5 cloves of garlic because it is strong but not overwhelming. You can adjust this amount if desired.
- Seasonings – For seasonings, all you really need is some dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper. So simple, but yet makes a huge impact on the flavor.
- Chicken – You can use any combination of drumsticks and chicken thighs. Chicken is a fantastic source of protein to help you feel full longer.
- Garnishes – The garnishes are completely optional, but the fresh parsley and lemon are a great way to add more color and flavor to the finished dish.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE
1. Combine the fresh lemon juice, seasonings, avocado oil, and garlic in a large bowl. Whisk until incorporated.
2. Place the chicken drumsticks and thighs in the marinade and toss to coat well.
3. Cover with a lid or piece of plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
4. After marinating the chicken, turn on the grill to medium-high heat. Then place the pieces of chicken on the grill and turn down the temperature to medium. You’ll need to cover and cook until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Be sure to flip the chicken as it cooks to grill each side.
5. Take the cooked chicken off of the grill and add garnishes. Serve, enjoy, and devour!
FAQS ABOUT GRILLED CHICKEN
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK CHICKEN?
Chicken thighs with the bone usually take around 10-14 minutes, and the chicken drumsticks usually take around 10 minutes. Just watch it and check the temperature using a digital thermometer.
HOW DO I PREVENT THE CHICKEN FROM STICKING TO THE GRILL?
Because the chicken is marinated in oil, it probably won’t stick. However, as a preventative measure, you could add some non-stick cooking spray on the grill before you start heating it. You can also brush on some oil with a pastry brush too. It’s just important to do this before you start the grill.
CAN I USE CHICKEN BREASTS?
Sure, if you would rather use chicken breasts, that is more than fine. However, if you make the swap, keep in mind that the chicken will have a different texture and flavor. Chicken thighs and drumsticks tend to be juicier, and chicken breasts are slightly drier. Just be sure if you use chicken breasts that you don’t overcook them, or they will be dry and not as flavorful.
DO YOU GRILL CHICKEN SKIN SIDE UP OR DOWN?
Cook the chicken with the skin down first. Then you can turn it over and continue to cook. Starting with the skin first allows it to brown up and get crispy. You can also remove the skin if you prefer.
CAN THIS GREEK CHICKEN BE MADE IN THE OVEN?
Yes, you sure can! This is a great option in the dead of winter when you don’t want to venture outside or when you just feel like roasting it in the oven. You’ll need to preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake on a cooking sheet with foil. Place the chicken on the pan in a single layer and cook for 45-50 minutes.
Hungry for more? I think you’ll enjoy some of my other tasty chicken recipes. Don’t miss my Tandoori Chicken, Oven Baked Caprese Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Breast, and Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Peppers.
Need to complete your meal? This Zucchini Gratin recipe is a perfect summer side dish to serve with this chicken! Or try this Air Fryer Asparagus!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you!Print
Best Grilled Chicken Recipe (Greek Chicken)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Marinated with Greek-inspired flavors, this easy recipe is really the BEST Grilled Chicken!
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or oil of choice
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken drumsticks and thighs
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh lemon
- Whisk together the fresh lemon juice, avocado oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and toss well to coat.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but up to 12 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the hot grill and immediately turn the temperature down to medium. Cover the grill and cook until the chicken is fully cooked, flipping once. It should register 165F on an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat not touching a bone. For bone-in chicken legs and thighs, this usually takes about 10 minutes per side over medium heat with the grill closed.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and serve with any garnishes you like.
If you don’t have a grill, you can cook this chicken in the oven. To do so, preheat the oven to 425F. Line a large baking tray with foil. Arrange the chicken on the tray. Bake until the chicken is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165F, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: recipes
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 503
- Sugar: 0.3 grams
- Fat: 21.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 2 grams
- Fiber: 0.3 grams
- Protein: 70 grams
Keywords: best grilled chicken recipe
Katelyn Porter says
Thank you for sharing! I’ve tried a lot of Grilled Chicken recipes and this is by far the best.