Oven Baked Caprese Chicken brings a little bit of Italy into your home. Incredible flavors combine to give you a meal with juicy chicken, plump ripe tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and it’s seasoned beautifully.
Italian food is one of my ultimate favorites because the flavors are so comforting and delicious together. I knew I couldn’t keep this oven baked Caprese chicken from you any longer. It’s one of those dishes that seems super fancy and would be great for entertaining, but it comes together in less than 50 minutes. So it’s even perfect for weeknight dinner.
- Chicken Breasts – I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could also swap them for chicken thighs too. Just skip the bones and skin, and it will be perfect.
- Olive Oil – Not only is olive oil a fantastic good fat to cook with, but it’s also one of the healthiest oils out there. I usually don’t cook with it as much because it has a lower smoke point, but the flavor is perfect here.
- Balsamic Glaze – My preference is a balsamic glaze, but you could also use regular balsamic vinegar. The vinegar is going to be slightly more runny, but the way it tastes is still going to be great. Use the balsamic vinegar if you’re participating in Sugar-Free January!
- Dried Basil – It tastes so good and helps bring all the other flavors of this Caprese chicken together.
- Salt – You just need a little bit of salt for this baked chicken Caprese.
- Granulated Sugar – Don’t worry; 1 teaspoon of sugar is enough to give it a touch of sweetness without going overboard. You can even leave this out if you’re participating in Sugar-Free January!
- Cherry Tomatoes – They add vibrant color as well as flavor! Plus, they give you a boost of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Oh, and don’t forget, tomatoes are an antioxidant too.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Big thick-sliced mozzarella cheese is the key to this balsamic Caprese chicken. We all know that cheese is filled with protein, but did you know mozzarella cheese has probiotics too?
- Fresh Basil – Sprinkling a little bit of fresh basil on top completes the look of the meal. Plus, it’s a yummy way to sneak in some calcium, vitamin K, and antioxidants too.
HOW TO MAKE OVEN BAKED CAPRESE CHICKEN
1. Start by heating the oven to 320 degrees and getting a baking pan ready.
2. Then use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry and add salt and pepper to each side.
3. Combine the olive oil, balsamic drizzle, basil, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Add the tomato to the balsamic mixture and coat tomatoes, then set aside.
5. Place two tablespoons of olive oil and heat it in a skillet.
6. Sear the chicken for 1-2 minutes to get the sides browned up.
7. Layer the chicken into the baking pan.
8. Pour the tomatoes and balsamic over the chicken.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
10. When there are 10 minutes left, put the slices of mozzarella cheese on top and continue baking.
11. Serve with a helping of pasta and some garlic bread. Top with fresh basil and enjoy!
FAQS ABOUT OVEN BAKED CAPRESE CHICKEN
WHAT IS CHICKEN CAPRESE?
Essentially, chicken Caprese is a dish that is well known in Italy (and all over the world) for having chicken, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and balsamic. It’s one of those meals that is timeless and classy, but it’s still great for all occasions.
When you bite into it, you will find that it is both sweet and tangy. You can’t resist going back for a second taste!
IS IT GLUTEN-FREE?
Yep! This dish is gluten-free, and serving it with gluten-free bread or pasta will keep the entire meal that way. If gluten isn’t an issue for you, naturally, you can serve it with what you like.
DO I NEED FRESH MOZZARELLA FOR CAPRESE CHICKEN?
Yes, it’s a game-changer to use fresh mozzarella. It gives the dish a super creamy and delicious texture that is unforgettable. I don’t recommend using regular mozzarella because you will be missing out on so much.
WHAT KIND OF PASTA GOES WITH THIS CHICKEN CAPRESE RECIPE?
Really, any variety of pasta will be a great addition to the balsamic glazed chicken. I like regular spaghetti noodles, penne, and rigatoni. But don’t limit yourself to just those types of pasta. Go wild and try it out with lots of different kinds of pasta to see what you enjoy the most. Whole grain pastas will be your healthiest choices.
Don’t want to go the pasta route? Try these Crispy Smashed Potatoes. They are incredible!
DO I HAVE TO SERVE CAPRESE WITH PASTA?
No, you sure don’t. You can skip the pasta altogether. A few other great options would be a lovely fresh garden salad, these balsamic roasted vegetables, or some type of bread.
There is no limit on bread either. We love garlic bread, breadsticks, garlic knots, or just plain and simple dinner rolls. It’s bread, so you know it’s going to be good!
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVERS?
Allow the baked chicken Caprese to cool down. After it’s had time to cool, put it in a food container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or put in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until it’s hot.
Everyone needs more healthy chicken dinner recipes, right? Give this Easy Italian Baked Chicken Breast Recipe a try and also this Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Peppers. Both highly rated recipes! If you’re looking to grill your chicken, check out the Best Grilled Chicken Recipe!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating. It helps so much to see which recipes are tried and true! I appreciate you. I’d love to have you follow along on Instagram and Facebook, too.Print