Enjoy a healthy Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie when you’re craving something sweet. It’s easy, gives you a cool boost of energy, and tastes like a dream!
You already know my affection for smoothies, and I wanted to make one with my favorite combination…blueberries and chocolate!
If you haven’t mixed blueberries and chocolate together yet, DO IT! Seriously, the berries are sweet, and the cocoa powder and dark chocolate are perfection. Plus, this smoothie looks gourmet and like you bought it in a fancy smoothie shop!
Oh, and one more thing I am excited to mention. It’s dairy-free! If you’ve struggled with finding great recipes for smoothies that are dairy-free, I think you will appreciate this one so much. Try my Spinach Smoothie for another great dairy-free option.
- Blueberries – If there wasn’t enough to love about this blueberry chocolate smoothie, you can use FROZEN blueberries! They are easy to work with and are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese.
- Almond Milk – Not a fan of almond milk? No problem, swap it with your favorite milk. Regular milk, cashew milk, or even coconut milk are all fine.
- Cocoa Powder – You’ll get a rich, deep chocolate flavor from the unsweetened cocoa powder. Cocoa has polyphenol, which makes it a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory food.
- Stevia – Using liquid stevia is a great sugar-substitute and adds sweetness to the smoothie.
- Vanilla – Don’t skip the vanilla because a little bit of it really helps make the breakfast drink taste even better.
- Lemon Juice – I recommend fresh lemon juice whenever possible. You don’t need a lot to get a little bit of vitamin C from the lemons.
- Salt – Using a dash of salt will actually bring out more of the natural sweetness in the berries and chocolate. Just don’t add too much!
- Dark Chocolate – It’s optional to add chopped chocolate, but it makes the blueberry smoothie even richer. It’s a wonderful source of zinc, iron, and magnesium.
HOW TO MAKE A BLUEBERRY CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
1. Add the blueberries, almond milk, cocoa, stevia, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in a high-powered blender. Mix until smooth.
2. Pour the blueberry chocolate smoothie in a serving glass and add topped chocolate and frozen blueberries on top. Sit back, sip on your smoothie, and enjoy!
Whether you just want to change the flavor here and there or have some ingredients you want to incorporate into your diet, these variations are great ideas to try.
- Banana – Adding half of a frozen banana to the smoothie will make it thicker and extra creamy. It’s going to be more like ice cream!
- Cinnamon – A dash of cinnamon is going to make it a little spicy and is a fun way to add some depth of flavor and cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Protein Powder – You are welcome to add a scoop of your favorite protein powder to the smoothie.
- Nuts – Add a few nuts to the top of the smoothie for a little bit of a crunch. Chopped almonds are delicious, but other nuts will also work.
- Coconut – Unsweetened coconut is another topping that is fun to include once in a while. Use unsweetened coconut shreds.
BLUEBERRY CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE FAQS
DO I HAVE TO USE FROZEN BLUEBERRIES?
While it’s not required to use frozen blueberries, I find that the overall texture is better when using frozen. Fresh blueberries are fine, but you are more likely to notice little tiny chunks of the skin. It’s completely a preference thing, so do whatever works for you, but I for sure prefer frozen.
CAN I ADD ICE TO THE SMOOTHIE?
Sure! If you love thick and icy smoothies, go ahead and add some ice to it. Keep in mind you will want to drink it faster with ice in it because as the ice melts, it’s going to water down the flavors.
CAN I MAKE THE SMOOTHIE AHEAD OF TIME?
While the blueberry chocolate smoothie is going to taste its best fresh, it is acceptable to save it for later. You’ll need to store it in a mason jar or other glass container. Make sure to keep it in the fridge until you are ready to drink it. Give it a shake before drinking to incorporate the ingredients back together. It will last 12-24 hours in the fridge. Be sure not to add any ice if you plan to save it for later, or it will not be as flavorful and watered down.
Loving smoothies for breakfast or an easy snack? Be sure to give my Vitamin C Fruit Smoothie, Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie, Strawberry Smoothie with Coconut, and Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Smoothie a try.
Want to make healthy smoothies a habit? Try my 31-Day Smoothie Challenge!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you!Print
Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie
This Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie is incredibly delicious, made with blueberries, chocolate, and almond milk, and no added sugar, it’s a healthy breakfast or snack!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: recipes
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, plus a couple more for topping if desired
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk, or any kind of milk you like
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 14 drops liquid stevia
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dark chocolate, for topping (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the finely chopped dark chocolate to a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a serving glass, top with a couple more frozen blueberries and the chopped chocolate. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 15.3 grms
- Fat: 2.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26.9 grams
- Fiber: 5.3 grams
- Protein: 2.8 grams
Keywords: Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie