This Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad with no mayo is an updated classic! You won’t believe how delicious healthy tastes.
The avocado obsession is real. And it just keeps going. First, I brought you Avocado Egg Salad. Then, Avocado Tuna Salad.
Now, let me introduce their unassuming cousin, Avocado Chicken Salad.
This recipe for Avocado Chicken Salad follows the same pattern: no mayo, but the wonderful, do-no-wrong, crazy-good-for-you avocado takes the place of mayonnaise. It works beautifully.
The rest of the flavors are basically traditional chicken salad flavors. Think of it as your beloved chicken salad recipe with an upgrade. Bringing the chicken salad out of the 90s and into 2018.
How to Make Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad
I don’t add apples or grapes in there, but you certainly can if that’s your thing. No hurt feelings here.
Also, if there ever was a time to poach your chicken, it would be here. It lends the perfect texture for chicken salad. BUT, I also understand sometimes you have leftover chicken and would like to use it up. This Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad will absolutely work with leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. No problemo.
The question I know you’re wondering:
Does this Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad turn brown?
It does have lemon juice, which prevents it somewhat, but nonetheless this won’t keep that long. On day two, I’m able to scrape the brown off of the top and it’s nice and green underneath. By the third day, it’s not as appealing. My advice is to eat this up in 1-2 days max.
That shouldn’t be a problem because this is seriously good. I hope you make it soon!
You may also enjoy this healthy Salmon Salad Recipe!Print
Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad (No Mayo)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad is made with no mayo and is a flavorful, satisfying salad that is a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 cups chopped cooked chicken)
- handful of fresh parsley and a few sprigs fresh thyme, optional
- 1 1/2 avocados, mashed (1 cup mashed)
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- First, poach your chicken. Season the breasts with salt and pepper and place them in a medium pot. Cover them with water and add the handful of fresh parsley and thyme sprigs to the water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook until the chicken is firm to the touch and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water and allow to cool. Chop the chicken; you should have 2 cups chopped chicken.
- Put your chopped chicken in a medium bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Serve on bread, on top of greens, or in a wrap. Enjoy!
This is best the first day, but will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 0.8 grams
- Fat: 8.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4.7 grams
- Protein: 26.6 grams
If you love my recipes and want inspiration for living a happy and healthy life, I would LOVE to keep in touch! Follow Happy Healthy Mama! Find me on:
If you make this Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe with stars when you leave a comment? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
Dan S says
Absolutely delicious! I didn’t miss the mayo at all, as the avocado made the salad so creamy. I’ve made this recipe several times now.
Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it.
Is this recipe freeze well?
This was absolutely delicious! I used a rotisserie chicken I had left over. So easy and so good. Thank you!
I have made this recipe several times. It is so easy and delicious. I love it on grain-free crackers! Thank you!