The first time I heard about eating kale as the main ingredient in a salad, I thought I’d hate it. The only time I eat kale raw is hidden in the form of a smoothie, I insisted. Kale is much too bitter to be eaten raw in a salad, right?
Wrong! Prepared correctly, the bitterness of kale vanishes and creates an amazing salad. I know, I was skeptical, too. You’ll just have to try it for yourself.
These are the star ingredients in this nutrient-packed salad.
You also want to remove the veins. They are hard, bitter, and you don’t want them in your salad.
Massaged kale salad with orange-tahini dressing
A hearty salad that is full of flavor
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 - 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, deveined and torn into bite-sized pieces
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (1–2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 an avocado
- a few pinches of sea salt
- Optional: top with your favorite fresh chopped vegetables and/or nuts
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1–2 teaspoons orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, lemon juice, avocado, and salt.
- With your clean hands, start massaging! You want to massage the kale until the avocado is broken apart and works its way into the leaves, which will soften and wilt. Massage for a good 2-3 minutes.
- After the kale gets its massage, put it in the fridge and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. (If you don’t have time for this, that’s fine. But it does help to give the lemon more time to “cook” those kale leaves!)
- Meanwhile, mix together the tahini, orange juice, water, ground ginger, salt, pepper, and orange zest in a small bowl. Whisk until completely combined.
- Top your salad with your favorite fresh vegetables (I used carrots and cucumbers) and nuts (I used walnuts) then drizzle with the dressing. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 of 4 servings
- Calories: 302
- Sodium: 73.5g
- Fat: 25.5g
- Carbohydrates: 9.75g
- Protein: 9.5g
Keywords: kale salad
I’ve prepared massaged kale salad with a variety of different dressings, but this orange-tahini is my favorite. It’s creamy and just plain delicious.
Along with the salad, I served my Roasted Chickpeas, Cauliflower, and Tomatoes with Herbed Couscous. I know it’s kind of crazy to roast things in the summer, but this made for a perfect light, summery meal.
Tim ate a huge portion of the kale salad, so I know he enjoyed it. No kale salad for Meghan, but she did ask for a third helping of the roasted chickpeas. She’s coming around. Someday she’ll be ready to try her mom’s kale salad.
If you’re more in the mood for drinking your kale, try this Kale Smoothie!