If you need a festive, colorful salad to add to your holiday table, this is your recipe. If you need a quick, easy, and healthy lunch salad to balance out the holiday treats you’ve been eating, this is your recipe.
It is always with a little hesitation that I serve Tim kale, especially raw kale. But when he tasted this he said, “This is a great salad!” and asked for seconds after he finished his first serving. When Tim likes kale, I know the recipe is a keeper and will be a hit with everyone.
Second, all that kale is coated with a simple dressing. The dressing is simple, but flavorful. The best dressings are simple, don’t you think? The key is that all of the kale leaves are coated in the dressing. Toss it well to ensure that happens.
Third, the toppings of dried cranberries, feta, and walnuts work together to create a balance of flavors and textures that works well.
In the end, you get a salad that my husband loves. I can’t give you any higher praise than that. You gotta give this one a try!
- ¾ cup walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium bunches kale
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- In a dry skillet, toast the walnut over medium heat. They are finished when they are fragrant and starting to brown; it takes about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, and garlic. Add the olive oil and whisk well until it is emulsified. Set aside.
- Remove the tough stems from your kale. I usually don't use a knife for this; I just tear the leaves off. Next, chop the kale very finely. Chop, chop, chop! If you haven't already, wash and dry your kale leaves.
- Put the kale leaves in a bowl and drizzle with the dressing.
- Use your hands to toss the salad well, ensuring all of the kale leaves are coated in the dressing. Top with the toasted walnuts, cranberries, and feta cheese. You can serve this right away, but I like it even more after it has chilled in the fridge for a bit. Enjoy!