This Homemade Alphabet Vegetable Soup Recipe is better than Campbell’s and much healthier, too!
Did you grow up with Campbell’s Soup? I sure did. We always had a can of Campbell’s in the pantry, ready to be poured into a pan along with some water. It was easy, that’s for sure.
Unfortunately, Campbell’s Alphabet Vegetable soup isn’t as wholesome as a soup should be. Although they don’t list their ingredients on their website (why not??), pick up a can at the grocery store and you’ll see that most of their soups have at least one sketchy ingredient on the list.
Skip the bowl full of MSG (disguised at yeast extract) and make your own Homemade Alphabet Vegetable Soup. This recipe is so easy and is also adaptable. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand. If you don’t have or can’t find alphabet pasta, use a different small shape. I used this alphabet pasta. (affiliate link)
This gorgeous, healthy, and totally kid-friendly pot of soup can be ready in 40 minutes or less. Move over Campbell’s Alphabet Soup, there’s a homemade version in town.Print
Look Again: Alphabet Vegetable Soup
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This classic recipe for Alphabet Vegetable Soup is so much better than the stuff you buy in a can!
- 2 tablespoons organic butter or oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced (optional)
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets or 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup alphabet pasta (or other small shape)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and cauliflower/red pepper, and cook about 5 minutes, stirring a few times during that time.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the soup, and cook another 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in the peas and corn and cook about five more minutes, until the peas and corn are heated throughly. Enjoy!
To make this a vegan soup, use oil instead of butter and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Any small pasta shape will work, but you can purchase the alphabet pasta here. (aff link)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 858.5mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 43.1g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: Alphabet soup
I first made this homemade Alphabet Vegetable Soup in 2010. This is basically the same recipe, but I added some celery and used a red pepper instead of cauliflower. I noted that either way is acceptable. Even though this is a kid-friendly recipe for kids who like soup, adults love it just as much. Give it a try when you want to warm up this winter!
Heather F says
We LOVE this recipe!! Any tips for adding broth after the fact? We added extra pasta and an extra cup of both corn and peas and now we have only a little broth but lots of other yummy stuff. Wondering if I should add more chicken stock and boil again or if you had other ideas (don’t want the veggies/pasta getting too soft!)
I just add in extra broth, and then gently reheat. It works fine and the vegetables/pasta don’t get too mushy!