Is it possible to make a whole roasted chicken in an hour?! YES! This Oven Roasted Chicken recipe makes an easy, flavorful dinner. This chicken is tasty, juicy, and infused with the aromas and flavors of fresh herbs, paprika, lemons, and garlic.
If you’ve ever shied away from making a whole roasted chicken because you think it’s going to take too much time, this Oven Roasted Chicken recipe is for you!
There’s a secret to making Oven Roasted Chicken in record time. If you’ve never spatchcocked your chicken, it’s time you learned about this! Every busy mom needs this technique in her life. Scroll down a bit and you’ll get all the details on what you have to do–don’t worry! It’s easy.
The result is you can have a whole oven roasted chicken in a fraction of the time. This whole chicken cooks in less than an hour. The skin gets crispy and it cooks evenly this way. Give it a go!
Recipe Ingredients-What You Need
The ingredient list for this Oven Roasted Chicken is quite simple! You’ll love the tremendous flavor that comes from these common ingredients.
- 1 free-range chicken, spatchcocked
- 4 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Marinade
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + for drizzling the pan
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 stems rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
For the Herb Butter
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
How to Spatchcock a Chicken
For this recipe, we start by spatchcocking our chicken. This is a technique where we remove the backbone so we can flatten the chicken. This results in more even and quicker cooking times. It can turn a whole roasted chicken, typically reserved for weekends, into a quick weeknight dinner. It’s really quite easy to do, so don’t be intimidated!
- Place the chicken on a cutting board with the breast-side facing down.
- With a pair of kitchen shears or sharp knife, cut along each side of the spine.
- Remove the backbone.
- Turn the chicken over and press down to flatten.
How to Make Oven Roasted Chicken
- To make the marinade, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Once the chicken is butterflied, massage the marinade all over the chicken, both over and under the skin as best as you can. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly drizzle olive oil to the bottom of a pan. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and place in the pan, skin side up. Add the lemons, onions, and rosemary.
- Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over the lemons and onions. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water to the pan to prevent the chicken from burning.
- Roast chicken for about 40-50 minutes until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the oven. Cover the chicken loosely with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.
- For the herb butter, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Brush over the chicken. Any extra herb butter can be served on the side.
If you try this recipe, I’d love you to come back and leave it a star rating and comment. It helps other readers see what’s tried and true, and I love your feedback! Share it on Instagram, tag me and use the hashtag #happyhealthymamarecipes to be featured!
Everyone always needs more healthy chicken dinner recipes, right? This Easy Italian Baked Chicken Breast recipe is always a huge hit and so is this Chicken Skillet with Mushrooms and Peppers. Give those recipes a try, too!Print