Need an easy and healthy pasta recipe? This Whole Wheat Penne with Mushrooms, Spinach and Tomatoes is an easy and healthy pasta recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Heads up! This post was first published in March 2010. Photos and the recipe were updated March 2018.
Baby ‘Bella mushrooms were on sale at Trader Joe’s this week and my thoughts immediately went to an easy and healthy pasta recipe.
My food cravings really change with the seasons. During the cold, winter months I inevitably crave heavy, comfort foods. Come spring and summer, though, my body tells me to lighten it up and I usually do.
This Penne Pasta with Mushrooms, Spinach, and Tomatoes doesn’t feel like your typical heavy pasta dinner. This is a simple dish that is a snap to put together. Easy and healthy pasta recipe for the win!
How to Make this Easy and Healthy Pasta RecipePrint
Whole Wheat Penne with Mushrooms, Spinach, and Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 13.25 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound baby ‘bella mushrooms, rinsed and lightly patted dry
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Cook your pasta in a pot of salted water, according to the package directions, while you proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and shallot and cook 2-3 minutes, until the shallot is soft and translucent.
- Add the wine and allow it to simmer about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Mix so that the seasonings are evenly distributed among the mushrooms. Allow to cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender and reduced in size, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice to the skillet. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce should reduce slightly.
- Add the spinach and stir until it begins to wilt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked penne to the skillet and stir to mix with the other ingredients.
- Plate and serve. Enjoy!
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 12 grams
- Fat: 15.9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 71 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
If you make this easy and healthy pasta recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe with stars when you leave a comment? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
Do you love easy and healthy pasta recipes? Here are some more that you’ll want to try!