When the biggest card-carrying carnivore takes a bite of a vegan patty and says, “Really good, hon,” you know you have a recipe winner. The carnivore is my husband, by the way, and he is not always easy to win over with my healthy, meatless meals.
If you have a man (or woman) in your life who prefers a big hunk of meat in the center of his plate at dinner time, but you’d like to incorporate more meatless meals into your rotation, give these vegan quinoa patties a try. With black beans and quinoa, they are packed with protein and nutrients.
The flavors are bright and summery with fresh basil and lime. They are lightly fried in oil to get a nice sear on the outside which makes a perfect crispy exterior. Topped with sliced avocado and a spritz of fresh lime juice, the patties are hearty and filling, yet light enough for these hot, summer days.
If you have a little one, you can use some of the mixture to make nuggets instead of patties like I did for Meghan. They are easy to pick up and eat just like chicken nuggets. I served Meghan’s with ketchup, but feel free to serve them with your kids’ favorite dipping sauce.Print
Quinoa patties with black beans and corn
These Quinoa Patties with Black Beans and Corn are the BEST vegan patties ever. They hold together well and are full of flavor. Quinoa+Black Beans=tons of protein. Easy, clean-eating recipe.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 patties 1x
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained/dried well
- 2 cups water
- 8–10 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (or 1–15 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- grapeseed oil, for frying (or oil of choice)
- avocado slices (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Put the quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the quinoa to cool slightly.
- To the cooled quinoa, add the basil leaves, black beans, corn, salt, a few turns of freshly ground black pepper, lime juice, and garlic powder. Mix well. Then, with a potato masher, mash the mixture together. Slowly add the cornmeal until you have a stiff mixture.
- Cover a large skillet pan with a thin layer of oil and heat the oil over medium high heat. Form the mixture into 2″ balls (smaller for nuggets). Flatten the balls and fry in the oil 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with avocado slices and lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 pattie
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 1.75g
- Sodium: 148mg
- Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 22.2g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: vegan burgers