If you love stuffed cabbage rolls but hate how tedious they are to prepare, give this Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup a try! All the flavors in an easier, lower carb version!I was all set to make this Unstuffed Cabbage Soup when my husband Tim said, “Please stop feeding me carbs.”
Okay, then, let’s just add that to the list of food requests from my kids and we’ll basically be eating plain chicken every day. I’m exaggerating, but only a little.
Tim’s actually been eating a more low carb diet for close to a year, but lately I’ve been sneaking in more rice and grains into our dinners. He noticed, and asked me to stop. I’m flexible and want to respect his choices, so I’m helping him out as much as I can. Thus, my Unstuffed Cabbage Soup became Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup. I’m far from an expert on low carb eating, but I’ve been learning. Per serving, this soup has 15 total carbs, which makes it more “medium carb.” But the net carbs are 10, which, according to what I’ve been reading, makes it a low carb meal.
All I did to make this lower carb was take out the rice and add riced cauliflower. Cauliflower is a nutritional star so it’s a great addition to your soup even if you don’t care about the carbs. This meal also is Paleo and Whole30 friendly, so if you’re following either of those diets, you’re good with this one!
This next part is important, so hopefully you’re still reading. Let’s just say you don’t care about carbs or Paleo-shmaleo or any of that. Let’s say you just want to eat homemade, good food. Well, this recipe is for YOU, too. It happens to fit into those dietary lifestyles, but what you really need to know is that this is just GOOD SOUP.
So even though I’m calling it “Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup” it could also be called “Really Good, Yummy Soup That You Should Make.”
You really should.Print
Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
All the delicious flavors of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, this Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup is an easier, lower carb version!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 of 1 medium or large green cabbage
- 4 cups riced cauliflower*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef over medium high heat, using a wooden spoon to break it apart.
- While the ground beef is cooking, roughly chop your onion.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, roughly chop half of the cabbage head.
- Add the cabbage, riced cauliflower, salt, pepper, and thyme to the pot and stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
*You can buy riced cauliflower in the produce section of most well-stocked grocery stores to save time. Alternatively, you can make your own by pulsing 1/2 of a large head of cauliflower, cut into florets, in the food processor until it resembles rice.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 8.5 grams
- Fat: 4.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Fiber: 4.6 grams
- Protein: 15.9 grams
If you make this Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!