This Chopped Kale Chicken Salad makes a great make-ahead lunch!
Is it possible to have too many chopped kale salad recipes on a website? I hope not.
Once I discovered how much chopping kale up super finely makes it 100% better, I never stopped making chopped kale salads. If you struggle with loving kale salads, chop it finely and I promise you’ll like them soooo much more.
But let’s talk about why I created yet another kale salad.
Ever since we did the Whole30 in January, my husband Tim’s diet’s been transformed. I told him one thing the Whole30 could do was change his taste buds and it TOTALLY did. The man who used to say dark chocolate is way too bitter for his tastes now prefers it.
Instead of me
forcing him gently nudging him to eat more greens, he’s asking for salads for lunch everyday. It’s been a huge change over here!
The Whole30 ended, but Tim didn’t go back to his old way of eating. During the Whole30 he started reading one of my books, Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris. (Side note: awesome book…highly recommend.) That book led him to Ferris’s 4 Hour Body, which inspired him to continue eating a more low-carb, high protein diet beyond January.
This is a salad that fits the bill for what Tim is looking for in his lunches and is great because I can make it ahead of time and it feeds us both for lunch for a few days.
I’m calling this the Ultimate Chopped Kale Chicken Salad because it’s full of vegetables and has a sugar-free dressing. It’s the only kale salad on Happy Healthy Mama that can make such a claim.
While I’m not giving up carbs anytime soon, you won’t find me complaining about eating a great salad like this for lunch (or dinner). I think you’ll love it, too!Print
The Ultimate Chopped Kale Chicken Salad
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
This Ultimate Chopped Kale Chicken Salad is a great make-ahead lunch salad!
- avocado oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large bunch kale, deveined and chopped very finely
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, veins and seeds removed and chopped finely
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped finely
- 1 large English cucumber, chopped finely
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of avocado oil.
- Sprinkle your chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook your chicken in the skillet, about 7 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Allow your chicken to cool before slicing.
- Meanwhile, make your dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, and salt.
- Toss together all of the chopped vegetables.
- If you are eating the whole salad right away, toss the dressing with the greens and toss to coat. Season the greens with salt and pepper and top with sliced chicken.
- If you aren’t eating all of the salad right away, only dress the portion you are eating and reserve the remaining dressing in a separate container until you are ready to eat the salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: salad
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 4.1
- Sodium: 232.1
- Fat: 22.6
- Saturated Fat: 3.4
- Carbohydrates: 9.8
- Fiber: 3.1
- Protein: 36.7
- Cholesterol: 110.4
Please note that links to products are affiliate links and if you purchase through the links I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Thanks for supporting Happy Healthy Mama!
Izzy | pinch of delight says
This really is the ultimate salad!