You don’t have to look very hard to realize that childhood obesity is a major problem in America. In the last thirty years the number of obese children has tripled and one in three children in the United States is now carrying too much weight.
The saddest part is that it’s not their fault. Children are not born knowing the right foods to eat. This all weighs heavily on our shoulders; it is the parents who are to blame.
Because of this, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation and the American Academy of Pediatrics have teamed up with the best-selling children’s book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle to help families learn about healthy eating habits with the Eating Healthy. Growing Strong. campaign.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a classic that has been loved by children for the past 40 years. Meghan absolutely adores this book and asks for it to be read over and over. With a book that is so loved by children, there is great learning opportunity. It’s easy to initiate discussion about healthy and unhealthy food choices through the story of the famished caterpillar who starts out eating great, then over does it and gets a stomach ache. Check out The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s website for more ideas and activity sheets.
Eric Carle is one of my all-time favorite children’s book authors. Check out this video and get to know this cool guy better:
As someone who is passionate about feeding our children well, I was more than happy to help promote the Eating Healthy. Growing Strong. campaign by hosting a giveaway for this wonderful book.
Three Happy Healthy Mama readers will have the chance to win the following:
- One winner will receive The Very Hungry Caterpillar Finger Puppet Book.
- Two winners will receive copies of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
There are four ways you can enter to win. Please leave a separate comment for each entry.
1. Leave a comment telling who you’d like to win this book for.
2. Subscribe, either by email or feed reader, to Happy Healthy Mama (or let me know that you already have).
4. If you are a blogger, link back to this giveaway in a blog post. If you are not a blogger, refer a friend to Happy Healthy Mama. Just leave your friend’s name in the comment section.
The winner will be announced on The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, Sunday, March 20th.
Giveaway is sponsored by Penguin and is open to addresses in the U.S.