These 25-Minute Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas are for busy nights when you want a healthy, homemade meal, FAST!You think as your kids get older, things like getting healthy, homemade dinners on the table are going to get easier. I mean, there are no screaming toddlers grabbing your legs wanting to be held when you’re trying to cook, so it’s got to be easier, right?
My experience is the opposite. It’s gotten more difficult as the kids have gotten older. The reason? Homework, activities, and being pulled in twenty five different directions at one time.
I do my best to use the meal prep system I describe in my Conquer Dinner eBook. Some weeks, I’m a super star. Other weeks, I fall flat on my face.
This 25-Minute Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchilada dinner recipe is for those weeks when I don’t have the time or just didn’t do enough meal prepping and I still want a healthy, homemade dinner. But I need it FAST.
Start to finish, you can have these Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas on the table in 25 minutes, and there’s no meal prepping required.
I do cheat a little, though. I use canned butternut squash, canned black beans, and store-bought enchilada sauce. Sometimes, a mama’s gotta do what a mama’s gotta do.
When dinner turns out this delicious, no one can really complain about a few shortcuts.
Here’s what you have to do to get your Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas on the table in 25 minutes:
First you’ll want to preheat your oven. Then chop your onion and sauté it, add the seasonings, canned butternut squash, and black beans.
Mix that all together and let it get warm throughout. It won’t look like something your kids will be excited about at this point, but just wait.
You’ve got to hide this mixture inside the tortillas.
Then you wrap them up and smother them all with enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake the whole thing, covered, for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Add the cilantro (totally optional–if you have kids and it will freak them out, leave it off. Otherwise, it’s a great compliment) and serve!
There you have it. An easy and healthy 25 minute dinner. Let me know when you try this one?!Print
25-Minute Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas
This Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchilada recipe is a healthy, 25 minute, vegetarian dinner the whole family will love.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 enchiladas
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can butternut squash *
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce *, divided
- 8 tortillas (I like these low-carb tortillas from Tortilla Factory *)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the butternut squash, black beans, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Scoop about 1/3 of a cup of the butternut squash filling into the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place it seam-side down in the dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup of enchilada sauce and 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the 400 degree oven until everything is hot and the cheese it melted, about 10 minutes. Top with cilantro, if using. Enjoy!
*Links to products are affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Happy Healthy Mama!
- Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Fiber: 16 grams
- Protein: 14.5 grams
If you make this Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchilada recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
Did you also know there’s a private Facebook page for health-minded people to ask questions or just get support on your healthy living journey? Click here to request to join and I’ll get you approved within 24 hours!