Save time cooking your sweet potatoes with this recipe for Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes!
Sweet potatoes are one of my very favorite plant foods. This is evidenced by the abundance of sweet potato recipes you’ll find on Happy Healthy Mama. The love runs deep.
Today’s “recipe” is more of a cooking technique. But it’s a cooking technique that’s going to save you some serious time. You’re down with that, right?
Let’s all bust out our Instant Pots, shall we? (That’s my Amazon affiliate link–I bought my first Instant Pot from Amazon 3 years ago and have been loving this cooking appliance ever since!)
Cooking a sweet potato in the oven takes around an hour. We are going to shave that in half and have our sweet potatoes cooked (total time!) in about 30 minutes.
How Long Do You Cook Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes?
This is going to vary slightly depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. The range I’ve found is 15-22 minutes on high pressure. The sweet potatoes you see in the pictures were quite large and required 22 minutes. Smaller sweet potatoes only need 15 minutes. Your average sweet potato will take 18-20 minutes.
Once you have your cooked sweet potatoes, there is so much you can do with them! This recipe for Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes is perfect for all the meal-preppers out there.
What to Make with Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
All of the following recipes call for cooked sweet potatoes!
- Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Rosemary and Thyme Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (do the initial “baking” in the Instant Pot to save time!)
- Chicken, Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2-ingredient Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 5-ingredient Paleo Pancakes
- Flourless Sweet Potato Muffins
This recipe for Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes is the perfect mix of healthy + convenient. That’s exactly what my new book, I Love My Instant Pot Anti-Inflammatory Diet Recipe Book is all about.
Guess what?! It’ll be here October 1st and is ready for preorder NOW! I couldn’t be more excited to share this cookbook with the world! It has 175 Instant Pot recipes, all that use anti-inflammatory ingredients and avoid inflammatory ingredients like dairy and gluten.
It’s available for preorder now and is actually 20% off of the list price as I type this. Hurry and reserve your copy now! You’ll get it sent right to your door the day it’s released if you preorder it now. Your support means the absolute world to me. 💛
You can practice using your Instant Pot with this recipe while you’re waiting for your new cookbook to arrive!
How to Cook Instant Pot Sweet PotatoesPrint
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes can be made really quickly in the Instant Pot pressure cooker!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-22 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minute
- Yield: serves 4 1x
- Category: techniques
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
- 1 cup water
- Place 1 cup of water in the insert. Top with a steaming rack and place the sweet potatoes on the rack. Overlapping is okay.
- Press the manual button and adjust the time to 15-22 minutes, depending on the size of the your sweet potatoes.
- When the timer beeps, use the quick release method to release the pressure, then unlock the lid. Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the inner pot and allow them to cool.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Cooking times based on size:
Small sweet potatoes=15 minutes
Medium sweet potatoes=18-20 minutes
Large sweet potatoes=22 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 sweet potato
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 5.4 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26 grams
- Fiber: 3.9 grams
- Protein: 2 grams