This Chicken, Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe makes a healthy and filling dinner!How many ways can I stuff a sweet potato? Let me count the ways. I can stuff it to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. And then I keep on stuffing it.
Sweet potatoes are meant to be stuffed. Take a perfectly cooked sweet potato, add a tasty filling with more vegetables and protein, and boom. You’ve got a complete meal.
I tried something different with this stuffed sweet potato recipe. A reader recently commented that she cooks her sweet potatoes in the crockpot. Woah. That changes everything. I thought, well what if I cook the tators in the crockpot and then have a super quick filling? What then? The result was having a dinner I could get home and have ready to eat in less than 20 minutes. Cooking the sweet potatoes in the crockpot doesn’t make for crispy skin like if you’d baked them in the oven. A perfectly acceptable trade-off, in my opinion, to have the longest cooking part done at dinner time.
If you are a vegetarian, make a simple swap of chickpeas for the chicken. They will add protein and work nicely with the other ingredients. If you’re dairy-free, simply leave the feta off or sprinkle the filling with nutritional yeast. This recipe is naturally gluten-free. Make this recipe work for you because it’s a great meal.
One stuffed sweet potato is about 350 calories, with 32 grams of carbs, 12 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein.Print
Chicken, Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Stuffed Sweet Potato
Use your Crock-Pot to make the sweet potatoes and then dinner time is super quick for these Chicken, Mushroom, and Feta Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups baby spinach or baby greens of choice, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- Wrap your sweet potatoes in tin foil. Place them in the crockpot and cook on low 7 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you want your sweet potatoes ready, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, chicken, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and oregano to the skillet. Cook until the mushrooms have released all of their liquid and it has mostly all evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Add the spinach and garlic and cook another minute or so until the greens are wilted but still bright green. Remove from the heat.
- Open each sweet potato and fill it with 1/4 of the filling. Top with 1 ounce of feta cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 serving of 4
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 956mg
- Fat: 11.8g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8g
- Protein: 20.7g