This Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe give you a quick, light, and delicious dinner option for busy weeknights!
I’m not sure if “Stuffed Sweet Potato” is the right term here. Maybe more like “Loaded Sweet Potato” or “a Lovely Smash of Buffalo Chicken on Top of a Sweet Potato.” Whatever you want to call it, you’re going to LOVE what I’m calling Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Are you a buffalo chicken fan? Then this recipe, my friend, is a must-try.
It takes the idea of healthy buffalo chicken dip and turns it into a weeknight-appropriate, light dinner option that’s gluten free.
Healthy comfort food? YES. You are welcome. (Side note: Need a Dairy-free Buffalo Chicken Dip option? Click that recipe!) that the whole family loves in a matter of minutes.
OH, and it’s basically a meal-preppers dream.
Use my Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe along with my Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe whenever you do your meal prep and BOOM. That busy weeknight comes around and you have a very quick meal that the whole family loves in a matter of minutes.
Sweet Potatoes are so versatile! After you make this, try Loaded Sweet Potato Fries!
Recipe Ingredients–What You Need
This is a short and sweet ingredient list. Isn’t that what your dinner dreams are made of? Me, too!
4 medium sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are full of prebiotics, which are essential for gut health. They’re also a good source of fiber and vitamins A and C.
1 tablespoon avocado oil
I didn’t photograph the avocado oil, but I use it to sauté the red onion. Avocado oil is an oil that isn’t known to be inflammatory, which is one reason I love to use it instead of vegetable oils.
1 cup chopped red onion
Red onion is the perfect flavor accompaniment for this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe. The nutrients it provides, folate, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese and vitamins C, K and B6, are a happy bonus.
4 cups cooked shredded chicken (from 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
Leftover chicken is perfect for this recipe; store-bought rotisserie chickens can also be used. Chicken breasts provide a lean protein for this meal.
1/2 cup buffalo hot sauce
This is where that signature flavor comes in. Oh YES! I like primal kitchen buffalo sauce as it doesn’t have any unwanted added ingredients.
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
I adore bleu cheese and the flavor it brings to this dish. If you don’t love it, you can leave it out and this will be a dairy-free meal.
Cilantro, green onion, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, extra buffalo sauce, and/or extra blue cheese crumbles.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- First, cook the sweet potatoes and chicken.
- For the baked sweet potato, here are Instant Pot instructions and oven instructions. You can also cook them the air fryer, cook for 35-40 minutes or the slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- For the boneless chicken breasts, you can boil them. Put them in a pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes. Another method is to cook them in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Add one cup of water to the inner pot and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before turning the release valve to quick release the rest of the pressure. Let the chicken cool, then use two forks to shred them. Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cooked, shredded chicken, hot sauce, and blue cheese and stir to combine. Cook until the chicken is heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slit one of the cooked sweet potatoes length wise and split it open.
- Spoon 1/4 of the buffalo chicken filling on top of the sweet potato. Repeat with remaining sweet potatoes. Top with any optional toppings, if desired.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
I don’t know about your family, but I’m always looking for healthy chicken recipes to cook for dinner. Here are my top recommendations for easy recipes your family will love.
- If you’re looking for a grilled chicken recipe, this is the BEST Grilled Chicken recipe! Must try!
- The best way to make boring chicken breasts taste amazing is with this Healthy Chicken Marinade!
- This Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Peppers is so tasty.
- This Italian Baked Chicken Breast recipe is super easy and delicious.
- Bone-in chicken is often juicier than boneless chicken breasts. Try this recipe for Baked Bone In Chicken!
- For an easy weeknight dinner when schedules are crazy, try Crockpot Chicken Tacos!
If you try this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe, or any of my other healthy recipes, please share it on Instagram and I’ll feature you! Also, if you try it, please leave a comment with a star rating below! Those star ratings are so helpful in helping my recipes get discovered. I appreciate you!