With all the flavors of traditional stuffed peppers, but with much more ease, try this Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup!
Two things came together to make this soup happen. First, I keep getting a ton of peppers in my CSA box. They are mostly small-ish peppers that are too small for stuffing.
Second, we’ve got back-to-school crazy schedule time kicking in and that means there are times when I need a dinner to be slow-cooking while I am running Meghan from school to dance and then back home and we’re all starving.
I need dinner ready NOW.
A lot of slow cooker recipes with rice call for cooked rice. To me that kind of takes the point out of a slow cooker recipe. Right? Especially since I use brown rice that takes an hour to cook. I decided to take a chance and use uncooked rice.
It worked beautifully!This soup has all the comforts and familiar flavors of stuffed peppers.
I used organic, grass-fed beef, which provides zinc (really important for strong immune systems!), is very lean, and also is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. Grass-fed beef also provides us with CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which is thought to help protect against cancer. (source)
Substitution Ideas for Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
I know not everyone will want to use beef, even if it’s grass-fed beef. Here are my substitution suggestions.
- Ground turkey
- Ground chicken
- Grated tempeh
- Brown lentils
What you’re going to like best about this soup, though, is how easy it is. A few minutes of prep and bam! the slow cooker does the rest of the work for you. Do yourself a favor and put this one on your meal plan. You’ll save yourself time and have a yummy dinner. Win!
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Stuffed Soup
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
A delicious soup thats easy to make in the slow cooker!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 3–5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef (turkey may be substituted)
- 2 small or 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 small or 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 32 ounces beef broth (chicken or vegetable broth may be substituted)
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrot and saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ground beef and saute until the beef is browned. If needed, drain the fat from the skillet. I find there to be very little, if any, fat to drain from grass-fed beef.
- Add the beef and vegetable mixture to the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 794mg
- Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Protein: 15.8g
Keywords: slow cooker soup
I tend to make a lot of soups in my slow cooker! Here are some of our family favorites:
Not soup, but more slow cooker dinner ideas:
This recipe was first published September 2014. Photos were updated and a video added September 2019. I hope you enjoy this tried-and-true recipe!