Fresh herbs make nearly everything taste better. Not only do they add incredible flavor, but fresh herbs offer a myriad of health benefits, too. Fresh oregano, for example, has antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory.
Fresh herbs don’t last long, though, which makes them less than convenient. Have you ever frozen your fresh herbs? It’s so easy and saves you valuable minutes at dinner time. #winning
You don’t need any special equipment to freeze your fresh herbs. A knife and an ice cube tray and you’ll be good to go. Ball Canning sent me a few fun tools to make the job even easier and more fun, though. (Don’t worry, you’ll get a chance to win them, too! Wait until the end of this post to learn more.)
The first tool sent by Ball Canning that I tried was the cool 5 blade herb scissors you see above. With one swift movement your herbs can be cut into perfect strips! They are awesome. I also used the special silicone trays they sent, which worked beautifully.
So freezing fresh herbs couldn’t be easier. Here are the only steps you need:
1. Clean the herbs well and then chop them into fine pieces.
2. Place two tablespoons of the chopped herbs into an ice cube tray or herb tray cube cavity.
3. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid to the herbs. You may use water, broth/stock, or a fat like olive oil or butter. Press the herbs down gently so they are compacted.
4. Freeze the cubes and then transfer the frozen cubes from the tray to a freezer-safe container.
Easy, right? You totally need to freeze those herbs next time you have a whole bunch of extra and nothing to do with them. No more throwing them out when they turn brown and wilted in the back of your crisper drawer!
Ball Canning Company is all about preserving. They are having their annual Can-It Forward Day this Saturday and will have live demonstrations and seminars on their website. Whether you are a canning pro or a total newbie, you should check it out!
In celebrating of National Can-It Forward Day, Ball Canning is offering an awesome prize pack for one reader of Happy Healthy Mama. This is one great prize pack! Check out what one winner will receive:
- Quart-Sized Case of Spring Green Heritage Jars
- Pint-Sized Case of Spring Green Heritage Jars
- Fresh Herb Keeper
- Dry Herb Jars
- Frozen Herb Starter Trays
- 5 Blade Herb Scissors
- Ball Blue Book of Canning