These Easy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken Breasts are simple to prepare and moist with a lovely flavor–your whole family will enjoy this recipe!
This is a recipe that nails the ultimate dinner time trifecta: easy (so simple–minimal ingredients!), it’s healthy, and it’s beyond delicious–everyone in the family loves it. Really, guys, what more could you ask for? It’s Easy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken Breasts.
We have a bit of divide in our family. I much prefer chicken thighs to breasts. In my opinion, thighs are so much more flavorful. I am 100% in the minority, though. Tim, Meghan, and Luke all prefer breasts. So while I do serve chicken thighs on occasion, it’s much more common for us to have chicken breasts.
This means I’ve had to work extra hard to create chicken breast dinners that are not dry, bland, and boring. It’s really easy to get sick of chicken breasts.
I start by browning them on the stove top.
I typically use ghee for this, but you can also use avocado oil or another oil that can withstand higher heat.
Once the chicken breasts are browned, I like to add some flavorful liquid to cook with them in the oven. For this recipe I included chicken stock, mustard, balsamic vinegar, avocado oil, and garlic. This will become our sauce.
I also added lemon to cook right on the chicken breasts and in the sauce to add some extra tangy flavor. I adore lemon flavor so much and it really brightens this dish.
Once the chicken breasts are cooked, I add some arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce on the stove and dinner is ready! It’s super simple. I’ll give you some easy side dish ideas that would go well with this dinner at the end of this post, also.
Ready to get cooking? On to the Easy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken Breasts recipe!Print
Easy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken Breasts
This recipe is for a lovely weeknight dinner that is fast and simple. Easy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken is a family-favorite recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 breast halves)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder+1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat your chicken breasts dry and season them with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the ghee in a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-proof skillet) over medium heat until it melts.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the chicken stock, mustard, vinegar, oil, and garlic.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet. Use a spoon or spatula to deglaze the pan. (I don’t always remove the chicken first because I’m kind of a lazy cook. I just work around it. You can totally remove the chicken to do this and then add it back to the skillet if you want.)
- Add 1-2 lemon slices to the top of each chicken breast and the remaining slices around them in the pan.
- Finish cooking the chicken in the preheated oven until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 12-15 minutes more.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet to a plate and keep it covered to stay warm.
- Make a slurry with the arrowroot powder and water in a small bowl.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer on the stove top and add the arrowroot slurry. Whisk for one minute and then remove from the heat.
- Top each chicken breast with sauce and serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast with sauce
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 1.6 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4.6
- Protein: 52 grams
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
How about some side dish ideas? I think this would be lovely served with any of the following vegetables side dishes/salads.