Pico de gallo is quick and easy to make at home! This easy recipe takes about 10 minutes and only uses 6 simple ingredients.
Let’s make some pico de gallo for Cinco de Mayo! Say that five times. You’re smiling, aren’t you?
How can you not be smiling? It’s Cinco de Mayo and we’re making pico de gallo! Ok, I’ll stop…but seriously, you should make this recipe.
Pico de gallo is one of the easiest and most versatile things you can know how to make in the kitchen. It takes a few minutes to make and is wonderful with dinner or as a snack or party appetizer.
Ways to Use Pico de Gallo
- Eat it with tortilla chips, of course!
- Add it to your scrambled eggs.
- Use it as a topping for fish tacos.
- Make it your side dish! The tomatoes and onions are chunky enough that it can be used like a salad.
- Top a baked potato or baked sweet potato with it.
- Add it as a topping for simple grilled chicken.
The best part is you only need a few fresh ingredients.
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
- Fresh tomatoes – a lot of different varieties will work here. Much more important than type of tomato is the quality. Get the best looking tomatoes you can find. Smell them–if they don’t have a smell they won’t have a taste, either!
- Fresh cilantro – oh yes!! I’m sorry to the non-cilantro lovers. This is a must in pico de gallo.
- White onion – white is the norm, but feel free to deviate and try red or yellow.
- Fresh lime juice
- Jalapeño pepper – I always get jalapeño, but serrano is a good choice, too.
- Fresh garlic
Even though there’s a jalapeño pepper, pico de gallo does not have to be hot or spicy. I remove the seeds, so there isn’t much heat left after that. If you want heat, leave some seeds!
There really isn’t a good reason to buy pico de gallo from the store. It’s so easy to make and tastes so much better when it’s fresh.
I recently learned that if you want to have a milder onion flavor in your pico de gallo recipe, you can soak your chopped onion in cold water for a few minutes. It works!
How to Make Pico de Gallo
Could not be easier. Chop. Mix. Eat. I like it best the first day, but it will keep in the fridge for 2-5 days, though, if you have leftovers.Print
Pico de Gallo Recipe
Pico de gallo is so easy to make at home with 6 simple and fresh ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 of a white onion, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl except the cilantro. Add salt and pepper and taste. Add the cilantro.
- You can serve immediately or allow 30-60 minutes for flavor to develop. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 20
- Sugar: 1.9 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5.3 grams
- Protein: 0.6 grams
Here are some more recipes you might want to make for Cinco de Mayo (or a random Tuesday–these are great all year!)