I can’t get enough strawberries in the summer. I could eat them in everything. And I do. When they’re in season, it’s not uncommon for strawberries to show up in my breakfast, snacks, lunch, and then dessert all in one day.
This salad is an example of how they show up in lunch. Paired with cucumbers, fresh mint, and quinoa, this salad makes a nice, light summer lunch. If you need a more substantial meal, this works as a great side dish.
Ever since going gluten-free, quinoa’s been a heavy hitter over here. I’ve always liked it (well, since I first tried it three or four years ago), but I appreciate it so much more now that my grains are limited. It’s a great vegan protein source and is super versatile. You can use it just like you’d use rice.
I love adding strawberries to salads, especially when they are in their peak season. I hope you enjoy this fresh summer salad as much as we did.
Strawberry quinoa salad
Strawberry Quinoa Salad–light and refreshing salad recipe!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and dried
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup seedless cucumber (or de-seed it), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice from one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Put the rinsed and dried quinoa in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium high heat. Stir and allow to dry cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, strawberries, cucumbers, and mint. Add the dressing and stir to combine. Chill before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 10.75g
- Sodium: 290mg
- Fat: 15.25g
- Carbohydrates: 23.25g
- Protein: 2.75g
Keywords: quinoa salad
If you like the idea of a quinoa-fruit salad, you might also like my Quinoa Watermelon Salad with Citrus Basil Vinaigrette.