This classic recipe for Alphabet Vegetable Soup is so much better than the stuff you buy in a can!
- 2 tablespoons organic butter or oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced (optional)
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets or 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup alphabet pasta (or other small shape)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and cauliflower/red pepper, and cook about 5 minutes, stirring a few times during that time.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the soup, and cook another 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in the peas and corn and cook about five more minutes, until the peas and corn are heated throughly. Enjoy!
To make this a vegan soup, use oil instead of butter and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Any small pasta shape will work, but you can purchase the alphabet pasta here. (aff link)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 858.5mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 43.1g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: Alphabet soup