These Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks are a delicious, “meaty” alternative to grilling meat! If you’re looking for a vegan alternative for your next barbecue, this is the perfect recipe! Consider adding these Grilled Brussels Sprouts to your vegan cook out.
Why should chicken, steak, and pork have all the fun at cook outs? Forget the meat and give these Portobello Mushroom Steaks a try!
You just need a quick marinade to give them some flavor, then grill them up and you can eat it on a salad or with a plate full of sides! Cant’ really go wrong.
Recipe Ingredients-What You Need
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium Tamari sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- Avocado Oil–I use this because it’s a neutral oil that isn’t considered inflammatory and it withstands high heat well. If you normally use canola oil or another vegetable oil that will work. Olive oil isn’t recommended here as it doesn’t withstand high heat well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar–I have made this with balsamic vinegar as well and it works well.
- Low-Sodium Tamari Sauce–You can use coconut aminos or regular soy sauce If you don’t use a reduced sodium version, use garlic powder in place of garlic salt.
- Garlic Salt-If you don’t have garlic salt, you can use garlic powder.
- Ginger Powder-If you don’t have ginger powder, leave it out and use 1 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt).
How to Make Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Grab the stem between your finger and thumb and gently twist to remove. Set aside.
- Whisk together all of the rest of the ingredients and pour into a shallow baking dish. Put the mushrooms in the dish and use a pastry brush to coat them with the marinade. Allow the mushrooms to marinate for 5-15 minutes and then flip them over and continue for another 5-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium high. Oil the grates.
- Cook the mushrooms caps on the grill until charred and cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve hot.
What to Serve with Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
- These are a great topper for almost any salad. I love them with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing like I used for this Kale Salad with Peaches.
- It would go well with this asparagus recipe and some wild rice.
- These would be a great accompaniment to my Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe.
- If you want to keep everything on the grill, try them with a side of Grilled Brussels sprouts.
- Just like regular steak, these are perfect with a side of mashed potatoes. How about these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes? YUM.
- It would be amazing to serve along side this flavorful Quinoa Salad.
- You’ll love these Portobello Mushroom Steaks with this Perfect Rice Pilaf.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating below. It helps me and my readers! Thank you.Print