Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are a quicker, easier, and better way to make mashed potatoes!
Coordinating Thanksgiving dinner (or any holiday dinner!) can be quite a task. You can only have so many dishes cooking in the oven, so many dishes cooking on the stovetop….bringing in extra appliances can be a BIG help. I propose you make your mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot this year!!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are quicker, easier, and I’ll even say it: better!
I’m saving the long-winded stories for another time and getting right to the recipe today. Translation: this mama is busy and needs to hustle to get this post up and the gazillion other things on my to-do list done. 😉
Make sure to check out my collection of Healthy Instant Pot recipes!
This Instant Pot Brown Rice is another staple recipe I make in my Instant Pot!
How To Make the Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Save time and make your mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes (including time for Instant Pot to come to pressure)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water*
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (optional)**
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the peeled and cut potatoes into the Instant Pot and add the stock or water.
- Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the milk and butter so the milk is warm and the butter is melted. (microwave or stovetop)
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then use the quick release to let the rest of the pressure release.
- Drain the potatoes and then place them back into the Instant Pot insert.
- Using a hand masher, mash the potatoes a little. Add the garlic salt and parmesan cheese, then pour in the warm milk and melted butter and continue to mash until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
*I like using stock as it adds great flavor, but water works fine, too.
**My kids love Parmesan cheese in their mashed potatoes, but you can leave it out without changing anything else in the recipe if you prefer.
***Nutritional information assumes you use whole milk.
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 5.6 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37.1 grams
- Protein: 7.5 grams
Keywords: Instant Pot mashed potatoes
More Thanksgiving Recipes
Sweet Potato Casserole (vegan and gluten-free recipe)
Perfect Bread Machine Dinner Rolls (non-bread machine instructions included)
Butter and Herb Roasted Turkey Breast (perfect if you have a small Thanksgiving)
Mulled Apple Cider (Crockpot Recipe)
Healthy Green Bean Casserole (vegan and gluten-free!)
Pumpkin Pie Bars (gluten-free and dairy-free!)
Leftover Turkey Recipes
This recipe was first published November 2018. The video was added November 2019. Links to products are affiliate links.