Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are a quicker, easier, and better way to make mashed potatoes!
Coordinating Thanksgiving dinner (or any holiday dinner!) can be quite a task. You can only have so many dishes cooking in the oven, so many dishes cooking on the stovetop….bringing in extra appliances can be a BIG help. I propose you make your mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot this year!!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are quicker, easier, and I’ll even say it: better!
I’m saving the long-winded stories for another time and getting right to the recipe today. Translation: this mama is busy and needs to hustle to get this post up and the gazillion other things on my to-do list done. 😉
Make sure to check out my collection of Healthy Instant Pot recipes!
How To Make the Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Save time and make your mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes (including time for Instant Pot to come to pressure)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water*
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (optional)**
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the peeled and cut potatoes into the Instant Pot and add the stock or water.
- Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the milk and butter so the milk is warm and the butter is melted. (microwave or stovetop)
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then use the quick release to let the rest of the pressure release.
- Drain the potatoes and then place them back into the Instant Pot insert.
- Using a hand masher, mash the potatoes a little. Add the garlic salt and parmesan cheese, then pour in the warm milk and melted butter and continue to mash until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
*I like using stock as it adds great flavor, but water works fine, too.
**My kids love Parmesan cheese in their mashed potatoes, but you can leave it out without changing anything else in the recipe if you prefer.
***Nutritional information assumes you use whole milk.
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 5.6 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37.1 grams
- Protein: 7.5 grams
Keywords: Instant Pot mashed potatoes
More Thanksgiving Recipes
Sweet Potato Casserole (vegan and gluten-free recipe)
Perfect Bread Machine Dinner Rolls (non-bread machine instructions included)
Butter and Herb Roasted Turkey Breast (perfect if you have a small Thanksgiving)
Mulled Apple Cider (Crockpot Recipe)
Healthy Green Bean Casserole (vegan and gluten-free!)
Pumpkin Pie Bars (gluten-free and dairy-free!)
Leftover Turkey Recipes
This recipe was first published November 2018. The video was added November 2019. Links to products are affiliate links.