This Curried Tuna Tomato Salad makes a healthy, tasty lunch that’s sure to be a new favorite!
If you’re looking for some new, fresh lunch ideas, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you. This Curried Tuna and Tomato Salad is a fun twist on regular tuna salad. I love a good tuna salad for lunch (a favorite is this Avocado Tuna Salad)–it’s a great way to add some omega-3s into my diet and is always easy to prepare.
This version uses curry powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper for flavor, apples and celery for texture, and tomatoes make a fantastic vessel for holding the salad.
I was originally inspired to create this by a recipe I found in an old cookbook I bought at an antique store. It’s called My Favorite Recipes and was published in 1974. I bought this cookbook that was published before I was born because older recipes fascinate me and I thought it’d be fun to read and possibly be inspired.
This Curried Tuna Tomato Salad caught my eye and I wanted to try it, but there was an ingredient I’d never heard of: 1/2 teaspoon “Accent.”
I did what any home cook would do, I googled it. The result to my “What is Accent seasoning” query (I figured out it must be a seasoning) and the answer was simply, this:
So clearly I didn’t follow the recipe exactly as I left out the MSG.
But I still have “My Favorite Recipes: Every Recipe a Prize Winner” to thank for the recipe inspiration. This was a delicious lunch that will be part of my regular rotation from now on. I hope you’ll try it!
How to Prepare Curried Tuna Tomato Salad
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cans tuna, 1 cup diced apple, 1/2 cup diced celery, 1/3 cup mayo, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Once it is well combined, place it in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the tomatoes.
2. Cut the top from 8 medium tomatoes.
3. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
4. Fill the tomato cavity with the tuna salad. Serve as is or on a bed of lettuce!
Curried Tuna Tomato Salad Printable RecipePrint
Curried Tuna and Tomato Salad
Full of flavor and easy to prepare, this makes a healthy lunch!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: lunch recipes
- Method: chopping
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (5 ounce) cans wild caught tuna (I used this kind for this recipe)
- 1 cup diced apple (1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (from about 4 stalks)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I recommend this kind)
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 medium tomatoes
- Garnish with chopped cilantro*
- In a medium bowl, mix together the first 8 ingredients until well combined. Place the tuna salad in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the tomatoes.
- Cut the tops from the tomatoes and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Invert the tomato shells to drain.
- Scoop the tuna mixture and stuff it inside the tomato shells. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve alone or over a bed of lettuce. Enjoy!
*I recommend chopped cilantro here, but parsley is pictured because the wrong thing was delivered on photo day!
Please note that links to products are affiliate links.
- Serving Size: 2 stuffed tomatoes
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 9.5 grams
- Fat: 22.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 grams
- Fiber: 4.6 grams
- Protein: 20.6 grams
Keywords: Curried Tuna Tomato Salad