If you’re looking for a quick and easy vegetarian (easily adapted to vegan) lunch idea, this Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is just what you need! It takes just minutes to make, can last a few days in the refrigerator, and is flavorful and satisfying!
I’ve considered myself a “work at home mom” for about six years now. So working from home is nothing new for this girl, and that means I almost always eat lunch at home.
But I’ve heard from so many friends, male and female, that they’re eating lunch at home for the first time ever. And they’re running out of quick, easy, and nutritious ideas. If that’s you, I’ve got you covered.
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich checks all the boxes.
quick and easy to make.
meatless and easily adapted to vegan.
a recipe that can be made ahead of time and eaten for a few days.
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is very similar to a classic Chicken Salad Sandwich, but chickpeas (a pantry staple–yay!) take the place of chicken. You can use regular mayonnaise or a vegan mayo, and I like to use a little plain Greek yogurt to lighten it up. You can also use a vegan yogurt if you want to go that route.
Like traditional chicken salad, I use grapes for sweetness, celery for crunch, and toasted walnuts for flavor and more contrasting textures. The mayonnaise gives a creamy base and it’s seasoned simply with salt and pepper. You’re going to love this!
Recipe Ingredients-What You Need
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup halved red grapes
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise (regular or vegan) or Greek Yogurt, or a combination of the two
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
I love that this Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe has minimal ingredients! Let me show you how simple it is to make this!
How to Make Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- First, use a potato masher or fork to mash your chickpeas. It’s okay if some still hold their shape, but you want to mash them a decent amount.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl as the chickpeas.
- Stir the ingredients until well combined.
- Serve on bread, a croissant, or on a bed of lettuce for a lower carb option.
I hope this helps you as a quick, easy, and healthy lunch idea! If you give it a try, please let me know and give it a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes have been tried and true!Print