This Easy Italian Baked Chicken Breast recipe will become a family-favorite recipe you make over and over again!
Are you on Team Dark Meat or Team Light Meat? For me, it’s dark meat every single time. There’s more flavor, it doesn’t dry out as easily, and it’s just better. If you don’t agree with me, get off my blog.
Actually, my whole family doesn’t agree with me. They all loooove the chicken breast, but mostly dislike the thighs and drumsticks. The struggle is real over here.
Since 3 out of 4 family members prefer baked chicken breast over any other kind of chicken, that’s what I make the majority of the time.
So I work really hard to make baked chicken breast taste amazing. I don’t think it’s an easy task. To lock in flavor and moisture is NOT easy on a piece of meat that just LIKES to dry out.
How to Make Baked Chicken Breast Taste Amazing
I’ve learned a few tips over the years that can really help transform a boring, bland chicken breast into something special. This is what you need to do:
1. Pound it.
Before baking your chicken breasts in the oven, pound them to an even thinness. This helps them cook evenly and at the same rate throughout. That way you aren’t drying out the thin part while trying to get the fat part cooked through. <—-Very technical terms.
2. Brush with fat and then season it.
You can brush the breasts with butter or oil on both sides. Skinless Chicken breasts are so lean, that adding this fat helps with the flavor and also with making the outside more crispy.
You can really use whatever seasonings you prefer. For this recipe, I am showing you Italian seasonings, which is probably my favorite way to go.
3. Bake at high heat.
You’ll find all kinds of debate surrounding the best temperature for baking chicken breasts in the oven. I have found the best results, by far, come from cooking at a higher temperature for a shorter time.
For this recipe we are baking the chicken breasts at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes, and then we add a little cheese and broil it for 2-3 minutes so the cheese can melt. The cheese, of course, is optional, but it is a small amount and I really love this will some melted mozzarella on top.
If you can’t do cheese, though, know that it will be really delicious even without the cheese.
I know that this recipe for Italian Baked Chicken Breast will become a go-to for your family. It’s super easy and the results are always delicious.
Baked Chicken Breast Video
Here’s exactly how to make the most amazing baked chicken breasts!
Side Dish Suggestions
Vegetables, of course! Here are my top picks for easy and tasty side dishes that would go well with this recipe.
Now that you’ve got your sides sorted out, let’s get to the recipe!
Save this Oven Baked Caprese Chicken Recipe for another night–you’ll love that one, too!Print
Easy Italian Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
Easy and delicious, this Italian Baked Chicken Breast Recipe will become a family -favorite recipe that you’ll love as a weeknight dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon Sucanat or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thinness
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado oil suggested) or melted butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the pounded chicken breasts on a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bruch the four breasts with oil on both sides.
- Rub the seasoning blend all over the breasts on both sides.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven, and top each chicken breast with 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Turn on your oven’s broiler and place the sheet back in the oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown.
- Allow the chicken breasts to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 breast
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 2.9 grams
- Fat: 4.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 grams
- Fiber: 0.7 grams
- Protein: 37.7 grams
Keywords: Baked chicken breast
This post was originally published November 2018. A new video was added February 2019.