These Crockpot Chicken Tacos are an easy dinner idea your whole family will love. It’s the perfect slow cooker meal for a busy weeknight!
I love slow cooker recipes because they’re convenient for busy lifestyles. Don’t get me wrong, I love to cook, but busy weeknight cooking is a whole different ball game. Finishing up my own work, running the kids to activities, and trying to help with homework creates chaos and it’s so nice to have a dinner ready to eat when we are.
This recipe is adaptable to your schedule. You can either cook the chicken filling on high for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Whenever it’s done, you can just turn the setting on warm, and eat it whenever you want! If your family is anything like mine, you probably already added this recipe to your weekly menu. I feel you! With the kids constantly having practice, recitals, school obligations, and so much more, having dinner ready is a must!
These Crockpot Chicken Tacos are one of those recipes that check all the boxes. They’re full of nutrients, quick (only 5 minutes of prep time), and most importantly….delicious! It’s safe to say I’ll be making these on a regular basis. I hope they become a part of your regular rotation, too!
- One fun way to serve these Crockpot Chicken Tacos is to make it into a taco bar! Just assemble your favorite toppings, and everyone can make their own. This is especially fun for kids!
- Serve these with a side of Mexican rice and a margarita. Why not? This will definitely elevate your taco night!
- Easily make your own taco seasoning instead of using the store-bought kind. It’s easy, less expensive, and you know it doesn’t have any unwanted added ingredients! All you need is some chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. This homemade taco seasoning recipe is my favorite ever.
- Instead of using just any jar of salsa, make your own (click here for recipe). It’s super fresh and tasty!
- Warm up your tortillas before you fill them. You can do this by placing them in a pan on the stove over medium heat. You could put some oil on the stove when you heat them up to get them a little crispy if you’d like. It will only take a few seconds on each side depending on how warm you want them.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you’re looking for more slow cooker recipes, check out my collection –> HERE
Simple Ingredients Needed
Salsa– The kind you use will customize the flavor of the dish. If you like spicy, use spicy salsa! Want something more sweet? Try a pineapple salsa! The tomatoes in salsa are a great source of vitamin c, potassium, folate, and vitamin k. You can use any jar of salsa you might have on hand. You can also try my Homemade Salsa and Pico De Gallo as a topping!
Black Beans– Black Beans contain a lot of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals! They’re also a great way to maintain healthy bones and lowering blood pressure.
Corn– Corn is rich in vitamin c and fiber and makes these tacos more filling. You can use sweet or golden depending on what you prefer.
Taco Seasoning– I use my Homemade Taco Seasoning, but you can use whatever kind you want. It usually consists of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder or salt, paprika, and black pepper.
Tortillas– Corn or flour tortillas will work. Corn tortillas have more fiber, whole grains, and other nutrients than flour tortillas. Flour tortillas have more saturated fat, so If you’re looking for a more nutritious option, corn tortillas are the way to go! My family, however, always asks for flour tortillas. Of course. You can also use hard taco shells if you would like.
Chicken Breast– Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the star ingredient in these crockpot chicken tacos. They’re a good source of lean protein and a healthier option if you’re eating animal protein.
Salt and Pepper– Just a little bit adds the perfect amount of flavor that goes well with the taco seasoning.
Optional Toppings– Guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, cheese, green chiles, lime juice, and lettuce are all delicious toppings that would be great on these crock pot chicken tacos.
How to make Crock Pot Chicken Tacos:
- In your instant pot or slow cooker, stir together your favorite salsa, black beans, corn, and taco seasoning until well combined.
- Lightly salt and pepper the raw chicken on both sides. Place the boneless chicken breasts on top of the other ingredients.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, shred the chicken breasts. The best way to shred chicken is right in the crockpot using two forks.
- Stir to combine the shredded chicken with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve the chicken taco meat mixture with tortillas and your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos FAQS
What toppings would be good with these tacos?
Some of my favorite taco toppings are sour cream, lime juice, green chiles, and cilantro. You could also top it off with some shredded cheese, lettuce, or guacamole. The options are endless!
What are some different ways I could serve this recipe?
The chicken filling can be served so many different ways than just on tortillas. Watching your carbs? You could make a taco salad or lettuce wraps! This would make a delicious topping for nachos with some melted cheese. It would even be good on its own if you want to go that route.
How long will leftovers last?
Leftovers will last about 3-4 days. Just make sure you store them in an airtight container in the fridge. You can easily reheat the chicken filling in the microwave or stove top.
Can I use frozen chicken?
I recommend thawing your chicken breasts before making this recipe. I haven’t tested it with frozen chicken.
How do I make sure my chicken is fully cooked?
Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a meat thermometer to check.
Will this feed my whole family?
This recipe makes 6 servings of 2 tacos each. For my family of 4, we usually have enough for a few tacos left over. You can always make a double batch, and store any leftovers for a repurposed dinner!
What’s the best day to shred chicken?
I like to just use 2 forks, and shred the chicken right in the instant pot. You could also use a hand mixer as I often do in this Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe.
Is chicken better for you than ground beef?
Chicken is high in protein and lower in fat than ground beef. I think it’s the perfect meat for this taco recipe. The health of your meat, whether chicken or beef, is highly dependent on the quality of the meat. Organic, pasture-raised meats fed non-GMO feed will be less inflammatory than conventional meat. Interested in the anti-inflammatory diet?Read The Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Yes, It’s for You.
If you make this recipe or any of my other healthy recipes, please share it on Instagram and I’ll feature you! Also, if you try it, please leave a comment with a star rating below! Those star ratings are so helpful in helping my recipes get discovered. I appreciate you!Print