I have this thing with beans. I keep putting them in places they aren’t intended to be. Brownies? Sure. Cookies? Why not? The thing is, beans are awesome. Nutritionally, they are powerhouses. Seriously. Beans are a great source of protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and magnesium. All important nutrients of which I want to make sure my kids are getting enough. Why save them for dinner?
I promise you that you won’t know that these chocolate peanut butter energy balls have black beans as their base. Even if you don’t love beans. The inspiration for these came from my High Protein Energy Balls recipe that uses chickpeas as the base. Black beans were a natural swap and they worked beautifully.
These chocolate peanut butter energy balls are the perfect snack for anyone, but they are especially great for kids. Healthy snacks are so important for growing kids, so why not choose a snack that will not only fill their bellies but also help fulfill their nutritional needs? The best part is my kids think they are having a treat when they are eating these.
Check out these awesome nutritional stats! Each ball contains:
3.9 grams fat
2.6 grams protein
2.6 grams sugar
1.5 grams fiber
Low in calories, fat, and sugar, and high in fiber and protein. Yet it tastes like you are eating fudge! Well, almost. Yes, despite cutting sugar from my diet, I did try these. I can’t serve my children something I haven’t tried, right?! Although I probably could have just taken their word for it that they were good judging from their reactions. All I heard was “Yum! Yum! Yummmmy!” from both of them.
If you have a food processor, these are super easy! By far, my favorite kitchen appliance.Print
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
5 simple ingredients is all you need to create this kid-approved, healthy snack. A perfect way to get an energy boost and satisfy that chocolate craving!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes in freezer
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 34 balls
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 cup honey (or other liquid sweetener of choice like agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a food processor, process the almonds until they are a fine crumb. Add the beans and process until they are well incorporated. Add the peanut butter, honey, and cocoa powder and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper if you prefer). These can be eaten right away, but I like to put them in the freezer for 10-20 minutes to help them firm up a bit first.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 26.1mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5g
- Protein: 2.6g
Keywords: energy bites
The chickpea peanut butter energy balls have been a family favorite since I first made them three years ago. Remember when Meghan was stealing balls during the photo shoot?
I hope you are having a great week and you get a chance to try this healthy snack recipe!