You know the old wive’s tale that when you’re sick you should eat chicken noodle soup? It’s not actually an old wive’s tale. It’s totally true. There have been numerous studies since 2000 that have concluded that grandma’s chicken noodle soup actually does help shorten the duration of a cold.
Of all the ingredients in chicken noodle soup that may help with your sickness, noodles, sadly, aren’t one of them. Move over noodles, and let’s welcome quinoa to the picture. This Chicken Quinoa Soup is an updated version of your favorite classic soup. All the flavors of chicken noodle soup are there, but healthy quinoa takes the place of noodles, and we love it just as much.
If you can, I highly recommend you make your own bone broth. Homemade bone broth has so many health benefits, including boosting your immune system, helping your liver function and detox, improving your bone and joint health, and improving digestion. I don’t usually have large chunks of time to simmer my broth, nor do I like keeping my gas stove on all day, so I like to make mine in the slow cooker. It’s so easy to just dump everything in and let the slow cooker work its magic!
Not only is homemade bone broth more nutritious than most store-bought varieties, you’ll save money making your own, too!
Whether you make your own broth or not, I hope you will give this Chicken Quinoa Soup a try! It’s such an easy recipe that is perfect for these cold winter days.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half length wise, and then sliced diagonally
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ⅔ cups quinoa, rinsed well
- 1½ cups shredded/chopped cooked chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stock, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, the bay leaf, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and quinoa and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and allow to cook a few minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!