This Sweet Potato Soup is easy to make and is full of nutrients! It will become a new staple you make over and over during the cold season!
It’s officially acceptable to post all the healthy soup recipes that I actually never stopped making, even when it was 100 degrees outside and everyone else was making salad after salad. Okay, that’s not completely true. But if the summer temperature happened to dip into the low 80s, in my house it was #soupseason. Up first is this super tasty, creamy (vegan and gluten-free!) Sweet Potato Soup.
When you scroll down to this recipe, you’ll notice there’s more than just sweet potatoes on the ingredient list. I’m still calling this Sweet Potato Soup because that’s what I started with. I wanted to make a creamy soup that wasn’t totally blended and had some vegetable chunks in it. I started with sweet potato, then decided to add some cauliflower, tomatoes, and kale to the mix. So it’s Sweet Potato+ Soup. How’s that?
You’re going to love this soup because it’s loaded with nutrients and tastes amazing. It has a creamy texture, but it’s totally vegan. Coconut milk gives us that luxurious texture, but you really don’t taste coconut here. The other flavors really overpower the soup, in a good way. Let’s take a look at the ingredients.
Recipe Ingredients-What You Need
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (not pictured–I always leave one thing out!)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock/broth, coconut milk, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove half of the soup and transfer to a large blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the blended soup back in the pot with the rest of the soup and return to the heat.
- Over medium heat, add the kale to the pot and stir until it is soft and wilted. Taste and add any salt or pepper as needed. Enjoy!
The printable recipe is also below. If you need a side dish to go with your soup, I recommend this Vibrant Thai Salad.
If you try this or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, please leave me a star rating and review. It’s so helpful! I’d also love to see it! Follow me on Instagram, tag me when you make my recipes, and I’ll feature you!Print