No buttermilk on hand? No problem! This is the easiest way to make a vegan buttermilk substitute. It’s healthier for you and works just as well as traditional buttermilk!
What if I told you that you could quickly and easily make a fantastic buttermilk substitute with just 2 ingredients! Would you get excited? The best part is that this homemade buttermilk recipe is dairy-free.
Adding buttermilk to various baked goods adds flavor, enhances the texture, and keeps them moist, too. Making my own buttermilk substitute not only saves me a trip to the grocery store, but it also saves me money! It feels great to be frugal and continue my journey on healthy living.
Not only is this buttermilk dairy-free, but it’s also low-carb, paleo, vegetarian, and vegan. So, if you are on the hunt for a replacement for classic buttermilk, you have finally found your match. And you can whip up as much as you need in under 10 minutes. Sound too good to be true? It’s not, and you’ll be so glad you have started making it at home.
Reasons To Make This Buttermilk Substitute
I have lots of reasons for you to make this buttermilk substitute, like being able to make delicious, perfect vegan pancakes or my vegan chocolate cake. Once you try this buttermilk recipe a few times, you are going to turn it into a household staple. Here are a few other reasons why this buttermilk replace is a terrific option:
- It’s very inexpensive. Not everything is about money, but when it comes to food, we all know that it can add up buying premade products. If you can quickly and easily make it yourself, it makes total sense. You can make it at home yourself for pennies, and you’ll never know you are missing the original.
- It takes minutes to whip up a batch. Because you can make it so fast, you can just prepare what you need in a couple of minutes. This will allow you to waste much less too.
- Your food will be flavorful. The point of buttermilk is to be an aid in making your food tasty, and it gives a perfectly tangy flavor every time. It makes pancakes, salad dressing, and dips incredibly good.
- Just like traditional buttermilk, it can be used to make foods juicy and tender. You can soak chicken, fish, veggies, or other foods in this buttermilk substitute, and they will be so much more delicious when cooked.
- The texture of the homemade buttermilk substitute is very similar to actual buttermilk cultures you can buy at the market. Almond milk is thicker than regular cows milk. This helps make it ideal to have a similar texture, and you wouldn’t’ even recognize it was different if you didn’t make it yourself.
- Homemade buttermilk is healthy. Almond milk is loaded with vitamin E and calcium. Plus, it’s low in sugar, fat, carbs, and calories. Apple cider vinegar has antioxidants, vitamins B, and C.
How To Make Buttermilk Substitute
You truly just need two ingredients to make this buttermilk. A milk or milk substitute and something acidic. It’s very forgiving, and you can even customize it too.
All you need to do is put almost a cup of almond milk in a measuring cup.
Then add in the apple cider vinegar and give it a quick stir.
If you have a few minutes, you can allow it to sit up to 10 minutes. Or, if you are in a big hurry, you can stir it together and continue making your recipe. That’s all there is to it! Can you believe it?
Tips For Making Vegan Buttermilk
I have a few tips to help you with any questions you may have. And if I don’t happen to answer something, feel free to reach out to me with any additional questions.
- You can substitute other kinds of milk. Whether you want whole milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or any other milk, you can easily swap it. Use a little less than a cup of milk or milk substitute per batch, and it will be the right combination.
- Store leftover buttermilk in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Keep it in a sealed airtight container or glass jar, and you can quickly grab what you need.
- Regular white vinegar works just as good as apple cider vinegar. Feel free to substitute white vinegar if you want to. It will give you the same result either way.