This Root Vegetable and Red Bean Stew makes a nourishing, vegan dinner that’s quick enough to make on weeknights!
Heads up! This post was originally published December 2010. Pictures were updated 2017.
With Christmas quickly approaching, this is an easy, stick-to-your ribs type meal that won’t take up too much time in the kitchen. It’s perfect for this week leading up to the big day when most of us have a lot of last minute preparations going on and don’t have the time to spend on fussy meals. It’s especially quick if you take a few minutes to chop the vegetables ahead of time.
This recipe was created because I had a bunch of root vegetables and nothing really for the main course, so I decided to make them the main course. Add some beans in the mix and you have yourself a stew!
Served on top of rice, this is a hearty, satisfying meal and the flavor was fantastic. I hope you make it soon!Print
Root Vegetable and Red Bean Stew
This Root Vegetable and Red Beans Stew is a hearty and nourishing vegan meal full of bold flavors.
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1” chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 ” chunks
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch cinnamon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional for serving: rice and sharp cheddar cheese (dairy or non-dairy variety to keep this vegan)
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and starting to brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, rutabaga, turnip, sweet potato, vegetable broth, coriander, turmeric, and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, and cinnamon and cook 2-3 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on top of brown rice and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
If you make this Root Vegetable and Red Bean Stew recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
Check out all of soup recipes for more healthy winter comfort food!