This Chicken Pumpkin Chili is the perfect cool weather meal, and is gluten-free, dairy-free, and ready in less than 30 minutes!Heads up! This post was first published in 2014. Photos were updated in 2017. Enjoy this Chicken Pumpkin Chili–it’s a favorite recipe!
I told you my focus for this year was quicker, easier, more simple recipes. This recipe is right on par for that goal. From start to finish, you can be eating this healthy Chicken Pumpkin Chili in just over 30 minutes.Save this recipe for a night when you have leftover cooked chicken. Yes, you should prepare extra chicken on purpose so you have leftovers. Make life easier on yourself.This Chicken Pumpkin Chili is everything you want a bowl of chili to be: hearty, filling, and full of flavor, but with less fat and calories than your average chili. It also happens to be full of nutrient-dense vegetables along with the two different kinds of beans.
The pumpkin adds a thickness that is often lacking in regular chicken chili recipes. There’s a subtle pumpkin flavor that doesn’t overpower the traditional chili flavor, but compliments it well.
If you are looking for a healthier chili recipe for your Super Bowl party, give this one a try. I know I’d choose this recipe over many standard recipes, healthier or not.
And if you need it to be vegetarian or vegan, no problem! Simply leave out the chicken, add more beans, and swap out the chicken stock for vegetables stock. Easy and still delicious! Either way, I hope you love this as much as we do.Print
Quick & Easy Chicken Pumpkin Chili
A hearty, filling chicken chili recipe with a twist. Healthy and full of flavor, this recipe can be ready to serve in just over 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, deveined and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, deveined and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic (I use this kind from Muir Glen) with juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat your oil over medium low heat in a stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and green bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt. Continue to sauté another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, pumpkin, and beans. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and add cayenne pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
Here are a few of my other favorite easy soup recipes we enjoy in the fall and winter!