- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, deveined and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, deveined and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic (I use this kind from Muir Glen) with juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 1–2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat your oil over medium low heat in a stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and green bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt. Continue to sauté another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, pumpkin, and beans. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and add cayenne pepper to taste. Enjoy!