This Healthy Pumpkin Molasses Quick Bread with Chocolate Chips is a moist, nutritious quick bread that is perfect for fall and winter!
Heads up!This recipe was originally published in 2011. It’s been a family favorite ever since and I’m excited to share it with my newer readers! New photographs have been added, but the text is the same. Enjoy!
I have a new favorite fall recipe and am excited to share it with you. I can’t think of a better introduction than that because this bread has me seriously in a daze.
Yes, it was starting to rain in the picture below. I only took a couple pictures before it started pouring and none of them turned out that great. But I couldn’t be bothered to wait and reshoot it–this recipe needs to get in your hands sooner rather than later. This blog is about the recipes, after all, not the photographs. (ETA: I kept the original photograph here for you to see! It makes me sentimental for a different time in blogging…)
Who would have thought the marriage of pumpkin+molasses+chocolate chips could create such an intensely good depth of flavor? Oh, but it does, my friends, it does. This bread is moist and is bursting with flavor.
The predominant flavor is the molasses, with subtle undertones of pumpkin, spices, and chocolate. Meghan calls it “chocolate bread” and has been requesting it for every meal. I’m okay with that because along with being delicious it’s also wholesome and full of nutrients.I use blackstrap molasses in this recipe, which I love because it is an excellent source of iron and calcium. Those are both things I need to be aware of getting enough of, especially as a pregnant woman. Meghan won’t eat red meat at all and doesn’t drink cow’s milk, so I also need to ensure she’s getting her iron and calcium from other sources. I’ve been trying to find more and more ways to use this nutritional booster to my recipes. This pumpkin molasses bread is one of my favorite ways so far. 🙂
If you’re looking for more ways to include pumpkin in your day, check out these Healthy Pumpkin Muffins!
Recipe Ingredients: What You’ll Need
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses *
- 1/2 cup sucanat *
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted (or your favorite baking oil)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons apple or orange juice
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or sub raisins or dried cranberries)
How to Make Healthy Pumpkin Molasses Quick Bread with Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine molasses, sucanat, applesauce, oil, eggs, pumpkin, and apple juice with an electric mixer. Add the dry ingredients and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon your mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 45-60 minutes. (Mine was perfect after 50 minutes)
- Let bread sit for 10 minutes, then turn the bread out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely. Don’t be afraid to have a slice while it’s still warm, though. Nothing beats warm bread fresh out of the oven! 🙂 Enjoy!
I hope I’ve emphasized enough how much I love this bread. It is truly a new favorite and will be made often in this house from here on out. If you like the distinct flavor of molasses, pumpkin spices, and chocolate, you will love this bread, too.
If you make this Pumpkin Molasses Quick Bread with Chocolate Chips recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it (or have already tried it!), would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!