This Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Bowl with Chicken and Spinach is an easy and healthy dinner idea!
I usually have five dinners a week planned. At least one night a week, we have a “throw together” dinner. This just means I throw together whatever we have on hand and call it dinner. Sometimes, it doesn’t work so well. Other times, I find an accidental winner.
That’s what happened when I first made this Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Bowl with Chicken and Spinach. I defrosted some chicken and saw we had spaghetti squash, spinach, and feta cheese that needed to be used. What came together was a delicious and healthy meal that will become one of the meals I regularly plan.
Cooking the spaghetti squash takes some time, but other than that this is a quick dinner. You can even speed that up by using the microwave to cook your spaghetti squash. Has anyone tried to cook their spaghetti squash in an Instant Pot? (affiliate link) I need to try that!
Besides the cooking of the spaghetti squash part, let me show you how quick and easy this healthy dinner is. You start by cooking your cubed chicken in a pan, then add the spinach for a brief soiree and then, voila, your spaghetti squash topping is almost ready.
Once your spaghetti squash is cooked, wait until it’s just cool enough to handle. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of cooked spaghetti squash and put it in a bowl.
You’re going to top everything with a lovely red wine vinaigrette and some feta cheese. I used feta cheese with Mediterranean spices, and recommend that if you can find it, but if not plain feta will work.
I note that this serves 4, but not generously. If you have an exceptionally hungry family, you may want to double it. As usual, my kids eat everything separate and plain, but they will eat all of the ingredients of this, even if they aren’t all together. SIGH.
Will your whole family eat this? I would love to hear about it! Let me know if you give it a try.Print
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Bowl with Chicken and Spinach
Spaghetti squash is given a Mediterranean twist in this Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Bowl with chicken, spinach, feta cheese, and a red wine vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-45 minutes
- Total Time: -25320689.866667 minute
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, preferably the kind with Mediterranean spices if you can find it
- salt and pepper
For the Dressing
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the spaghetti squash facing down on a baking sheet and bake until the squash is tender, about 45-55 minutes. Alternatively, place the squash in a microwave-safe dish and microwave until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the spinach, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pan and season with a touch more salt. Cook until the spinach is bright green and wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake until it is well combined. (You can also just whisk it in a bowl. :))
- When the spaghetti squash is cooked and cooled enough to handle, scrape the cooked strands into a bowl. Top with the chicken and spinach mixture and feta cheese and then drizzle the dressing on top. (You may also let individuals add their own dressing) Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 4.75 grams
- Fat: 22 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Fiber: 2.75 grams
- Protein: 28 grams
If you make this Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Spinach recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipes board!
Did you also know there’s a private Facebook page for health-minded people to ask questions or just get support on your healthy living journey? Click here to request to join and I’ll get you approved within 24 hours!