I need to come clean about a few things.
1. I grew up on a diet of largely processed foods. The microwave was my friend. I ate things like frozen bagel dogs, Pop Tarts, and Little Debbie snack cakes on a daily basis.
2. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were one of my favorite foods growing up. They still are.
3. I do not consider myself a “foodie”. I’m not totally sure what the term means, actually. If it means “a person who likes and appreciates good food” then yes, I suppose I am a foodie. I don’t like labels though, so I wouldn’t call myself one.
4. There was a time when I absolutely could not cook or bake anything without a recipe. I clung to the recipe like an insecure girl clinging to an uninterested ex. I knew I should let go, but just needed that recipe.
5. I still have (at least) two crutches I turn to for help when creating a recipe on my own. The Flavor Bible and Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking have been indispensable guides in learning to get creative in the kitchen.
6. Even though I won’t, for just one day I’d like to forget about all the chemicals, sugar, food dyes, etc. and just make these for Halloween. Aren’t they cute?
There. I feel better. I hope you are having a lovely Monday.
Any confessions you’d like to share today?