Birthday Cake Energy Balls are a healthy and vibrant snack that will cure that sweet tooth! They are so delicious, easy to make, and are filled with dates, cashews, and almond flour. Celebrate every day with this tasty treat.
Imagine eating something so bright and fun but also happens to be incredibly healthy! That’s what you get when you bite into one of these birthday cake energy balls. It’s literally impossible to munch on one without a smile on your face. And your kids are going to go WILD for them. They will have no idea they are actually healthy either. It’s our little secret. 😉
It doesn’t even have to be your birthday either. These are great for an afternoon pick-me-up or breakfast on the go. It’s made with nutritious ingredients, so you don’t have to feel guilty eating them any time you want.
- Cashews – I can’t resist too many things that have cashews in them. They are so good for you and are loaded with healthy fats, nutrients, and protein.
- Dates – My preference is Deglet Noor dates that are pitted. They offer the perfect flavor and sweetness to the energy bites.
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract for the best results. It enhances the flavors beautifully. You can also swap it for almond extract if you wanted to.
- Almond Flour – You’ll find that the texture of the birthday bites is fantastic, and this is due to the almond flour.
- Sprinkles – To avoid dyes and other additives, I recommend using naturally-colored sprinkles. Then there is no worry about what’s in them. They are optional, so you can easily leave them out if you want.
HOW TO MAKE BIRTHDAY CAKE ENERGY BALLS
1. Blend the cashews in a food processor until they become a creamy paste. This takes around 5 minutes.
2. Mix in the vanilla extract and dates and process. Keep processing until the mixture becomes a sticky ball.
3. Mix in half of the almond flour and pulse until it’s combined.
4. Then, take out the s-blade and pour in the rest of the almond flour and combine.
5. Scoop balls of dough using a cookie scoop, then roll them in your hands. Roll them into a dish with sprinkles (if desired).
6. Put them on a tray and place them in the freezer for 10 minutes or so until they have become firm.
FAQS ABOUT BIRTHDAY CAKE ENERGY BALLS
ARE THESE GLUTEN-FREE?
Yes, all of the ingredients in these energy bites are gluten-free. They make a wonderful gluten-free snack!
CAN I USE DIFFERENT NUTS?
While I haven’t used different nuts, you can make some adjustments. Cashews tend to blend well and have a higher oil content. You could use almonds, for example, but the mixture will be much drier and more of a powdery consistency when blending. I recommend adding a teaspoon or two of water when pulsing. This will give them enough moisture to hold together.
Some other nuts may work as well, but you will have to do some trial and error to see which ones work best.
WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF SPRINKLES?
If you don’t want to use sprinkles, you can roll the energy bites in all sorts of ingredients. Here are some ideas that would taste great:
- Coconut – Use some unsweetened shredded coconut flakes and roll the balls into it. You may need to lightly press on the coconut, so it sticks. To make it even finer, you can add coconut to the food processor and pulse until it becomes powdery.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – I like to use mini chocolate chips because they are smaller and are easier to roll.
- Nuts – Crush some cashews, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds pretty fine. Then roll the energy ball into the nuts. Delicious and adds a nice crunch!
- Various Sprinkles – If you want to make them themed, you can easily stick with a certain sprinkle color. They are great for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any other event.
HOW DO YOU STORE ENERGY BALLS?
You should always store the energy balls in the fridge or freezer. They need to be kept airtight and away from sunlight, heat, or steam. Otherwise, they won’t hold together as well. They will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Flash freeze the birthday cake energy bites, then place in a freezer bag to keep them for up to 3 months. You can thaw them for a few minutes or place them in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Craving more energy bite? I have several recipes that I think you are going to enjoy. They are all delicious and the perfect snack. 4-Ingredient Tahini Maple Energy Bites, No Bake Pumpkin Spice Energy Bars, Almond Butter and Quinoa Energy Balls and Cacao Coconut Energy Balls are some of our favorites.
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you!Print
Please note that links to products are affiliate links. Thank you!