Add some colorful vegetables to your morning with these Carrot Oatmeal Breakfast Bars!
I’m on a little bit of an add-vegetables-to-all-the-things kick. I can’t help it. My kids are on a bit of a we-don’t-really-care-for-vegetables-that-much kick. Especially this one:
Isn’t Meghan looking so grown up?! She’s 10 going on 16. And apparently “eating junk food is NORMAL. Nobody eats as many vegetables as we do!” <<<insert tween girl eye roll here>>>
If you’ve been around here for any amount of time, you know I won’t be giving up on serving vegetables in their fresh form any time soon. But as long as I’m getting resistance, I’ll be adding them to more foods, like our oatmeal breakfast bars.
These are truly a breakfast bar and not a dessert bar. They are only lightly sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. They also happen to be vegan and gluten free. I used ground flaxseed meal + water instead of eggs.
The flaxseed help bind these, but it also adds extra fiber and omega 3 fatty acids.
These Carrot Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are soft and chewy and can be eaten with a fork or picked up and eaten with your hands.
Whether you make these for yourself or your kids, they make a nutritious breakfast that can’t be classified as junk food. Sorry, Meghan.Print
Carrot Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
These Carrot Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are lightly sweet, vegan, and gluten free!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 9 1x
- Category: breakfast recipes
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal + 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed meal and water. Set it aside until it gels, 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate, large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. When the flaxseed and water gels, add it to the bowl and stir again to combine.
- Line an 8 X 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer the oatmeal mixture to the pan and press it down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven until the bars are set, approximately 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing into bars.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 13.5 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37 grams
- Fiber: 5.8 grams
- Protein: 5.3 grams
Keywords: oatmeal breakfast bars
I really like baking with carrots. Some more recipes you might love are my Healthy Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting , Carrot Cake Oatmeal Muffins , or Honey Carrot Quick Bread.