For an easy 20 minute dinner, give these BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls a try!
This post was originally published in June 2013. New photos and a video were adding July 2019. The text remains original to 2013.
Life is always busy with kids, but this spring has been especially busy around here. First, the house we’ve spent the last year planning and designing is in its final stages and we’ll be moving soon.
The kids seem to like playing in boxes more than helping us pack our things. Funny, huh?
Something also happens when your kids start to get older. They get involved in activities. (By older, I mean 4 1/2. I know it only gets busier and busier…) Meghan had her first dance recital this spring and now she’s full force into soccer. Nights of classes and practices can mean less time to spend on dinners.
So as much as I love to spend a solid hour in the kitchen preparing a meal (no, really, I do…when I actually have the time), most nights lately I need a quick meal. Compromising my food values is just not an option, so I’ve been finding more and more meals that are healthy and quick.
That’s not always an easy combination, but in this dish you get it all. I make this BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls on nights when I have leftover cooked chicken to use. You can have a healthy, real-food dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Yes, it is possible.
This dish is highly customizable. You can up the veggie factor by adding in some cooked red peppers or whatever cooked veggies you have on hand. Don’t like beans? Leave ’em out and add more corn or vegetables. I’ve made this many a night without the chicken and turned it into a vegan dinner, but my husband much prefers it with the chicken.
How to Make a BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowl in 20 Minutes
Love quinoa? You should also try this Quinoa Pizza Balls recipe!Print
BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls
20 minute BBQ chicken quinoa bowl. A healthy dinner in one bowl and ready in 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed (fresh would be great, too, in season)
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked beans (pinto or black work great)
- 1 cup good-quality BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a small sauce pan, bring the quinoa and water or stock to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the corn, chicken, and beans in a large bowl. Once the quinoa is finished, place the hot quinoa on top of the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in 1/2 cup BBQ sauce. Top each bowl with 1/4 of the avocado slices and drizzle with the remaining BBQ sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 14.8g
- Sodium: 450.8mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Carbohydrates: 39.75g
- Protein: 16.5g
Keywords: easy dinner recipe