This Honey Garlic Chicken can be made in your Instant Pot pressure cooker OR slow cooker and is a big hit with everyone who tries it!
One of my biggest goals in life right now is to create as many family-friendly DINNER recipes that are quick, easy, and still fall in the healthy or at least healthy-ish category as I can.
Some days, healthy-ish is a big win in my book. Especially if the whole family is happily eating what I serve them. Anyone with me there?
That’s my mission. And I’m not stopping until I have enough quick, easy, and healthy dinner recipes that everyone loves that I will always have more than enough to choose from. It won’t be easy. But what can I say? I love a good challenge.
Honey Garlic Chicken
So here’s a recipe for you that meets the above criteria. I wasn’t sure if my kids would go for the chicken because they are anti-sauce. The best part of any recipe is the sauce, and my kids basically hate sauce. Weirdos.
Nonetheless, the first time I made this Honey Garlic Chicken I said, “Well, this is dinner so you better eat up or you’ll be hungry!” or something along those lines and they ate it all. And so I called it a win.
All of the adults who have tried this needed no coaxing and it’s been an instant hit. Speaking of instant, I have two ways you can make this and both are super easy.
You can make it in your Instant Pot using the pressure cooker OR slow cooker function. Whichever works better for your schedule!
The Instant Pot is known for its pressuring cooking function, but did you know it’s a multi-purpose appliance that can also be used as a slow cooker?! Heck yes. I love it especially because the inner pot is stainless steel and not coated the way most slow cookers are.
What to Serve with Honey Garlic Chicken
You absolutely must serve this with this Jasmine Ginger rice!
The flavors are just perfect together. I also recommend Luke’s Favorite Broccoli.
Both of those will be easy to whip up while your Honey Garlic Chicken is cooking.
Chicken Breasts or Thighs?
You could technically use either here, but I recommend boneless, skinless thighs for this recipe. Thighs are much more forgiving when you’re cooking them in a pressure cooker or slow cooker, and are less prone to overcooking and drying out. They give great flavor for this recipe and you’ll be happy with them. I trim the fat first and recommend you do that, too.
I know that you’re going to LOVE this recipe and it’ll become a part of your regular rotation. Be on the lookout for more healthy dinner recipes coming your way in the coming months–I’m on a mission!Print
Honey Garlic Chicken (Instant Pot Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker recipe!)
This Honey Garlic Chicken can be made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or slow cooker and has addictive flavor!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes-4 hours
- Total Time: 17 minute
- Yield: serves 6 1x
- Category: dinner recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2–3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium tamari sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or corn starch
- Optional, for serving: sliced green onion
- Trim the fat from your chicken and set it aside.
- Put the tamari, honey, tomato paste, red curry paste, tomato paste, minced garlic, and vinegar into the inner pot of the Instant Pot and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and turn the chicken over until it’s completely coated with the sauce.
- SLOW COOKER instructions: Put the lid on the Instant Pot and press the slow cook button. Press the adjust button to change the setting to “high.” Adjust the time to 4 hours.
- PRESSURE COOKER instructions: Put the lid on the Instant Pot and press the manual button. Adjust the time to 7 minutes. When the timer beeps, use the quick release method to release the pressure.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove the chicken from the inner pot and place it in a bowl.
- Press the cancel button and then press sauté. Whisk in the arrowroot powder or corn starch and allow it to cook until it’s to your desired thickness. I am happy after a few minutes but if you want it thicker you can allow it to cook longer. Press the cancel button.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken, and then put it back into the inner pot. Stir and then serve with Ginger Jasmine Rice.
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 25 grams
- Fat: 7.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30 grams
- Fiber: 0.7 grams
- Protein: 39.4 grams
Keywords: Honey Garlic Chicken
Links to products are affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog!