Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties make an easy and delicious lunch or dinner and are a great way to boost your omega 3 fatty acids!
Do you eat a lot of tuna fish? I love my recipe for Avocado Tuna Salad and have it for lunch over a bed of lettuce quite often. I eat it that way so much, though, I wanted to switch it up. I created this recipe for Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties as a new way to get more tuna fish in my diet.
Let’s take a look at WHY we might want to eat more tuna fish, shall we? The mighty tuna fish packs in some nutritional power.
Reasons to Eat More Tuna Fish
- Great source of Vitamin B-12, Niacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Zinc, Selenium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium.
- High levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- Aids in weight loss (low in calories, balanced amount of fat and protein)
- Boosts immune system.
- Helps reduce blood pressure.
- Helps strengthen cell membranes.
- Helps prevent inflammatory diseases.
- Helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Can aid in cancer prevention.
Sometimes it helps to see the reasoning behind the recipes, no? I want to help you find foods that are going to make you the healthiest you can be!
Of course, I want to do that without sacrificing taste. Food is no fun if we can’t enjoy it, right? These Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties make such a satisfying lunch or dinner. No sacrificing here!
The grated apple, shredded cheddar, dijon mustard, and thyme work together to create a great-tasting patty.
These are also so quick and simple to make! I’ll show you the process before we get to the recipe. These come together so easily!
How to Make Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties
First, you put all of your ingredients into a big bowl. We’ve got 2 cans of tuna, a small apple, grated, some shredded cheddar, dijon mustard, and seasonings. That’s it! (Yep–these are gluten-free. No bread crumbs needed!)
Next you form the mixture into four patties. I let these rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes. If you’re in a rush, it’s fine to skip this step, but I think it helps them stay together better.
Then you cook them with a little oil in a pan. If you want, you can finish them in the oven under the broiler with some extra cheese on top. So good!
I like these with a salad, but I think they’d also be great on a bun. Tuna burgers, anyone? Yum!Print
Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties
These Apple Cheddar Tuna Patties are easy to make and full of great flavor!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 4 patties 1x
- 2 (5 ounce) cans Wild Albacore Tuna *, drained
- 3/4 cup grated apple (from one small apple)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (plus more for topping, if desired)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- avocado oil
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients well.
- Form the mixture into four patties and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Heat a thin layer of avocado oil in a large (ovenproof if adding more cheese) skillet over medium high heat. (I prefer my cast iron skillet*)
- Put the patties in the skillet and cook about 5 minutes on each side.
- If you’d like to add more cheese to the top, add it to the top of the patties and melt under your oven’s broiler, about 2 minutes. Enjoy!
*Links to products are affiliate links. Thanks for supporting my blog!
- Serving Size: 1 pattie
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 10 grams
If you make this Apple Cheddar Tuna Fish recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!
Did you also know there’s a private Facebook page for health-minded people to ask questions or just get support on your healthy living journey? Click here to request to join and I’ll get you approved within 24 hours!