This Vegan Corn Chowder is full of flavor and is also gluten free!
Heads up! This recipe for Vegan Corn Chowder was originally published in May 2011. Photos were updated August 2018; text and recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
One of my favorite parts about summer is sweet corn season. When I saw some fresh sweet corn in the grocery store this week, I couldn’t pass it up. Clearly it isn’t sweet corn season in Ohio yet, so it wasn’t local, but it sounded too good to wait for the local crops.
I really wanted to eat it like this:
But with a weather forecast that looks like this,
I knew it was more of a chowder week than a corn-on-the-cob week. Since traditional corn chowder is made with a ridiculous amount of butter and heavy cream, I decided to lighten it up and make it vegan.
You won’t miss the butter and cream. Really. I love it when healthy food tastes this good.
How to Make Vegan Corn ChowderPrint
Vegan Corn Chowder
My vegan version of a southern favorite, this Vegan Corn Chowder is healthy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 4–5 cups unsweetened nondairy milk of choice*
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion in olive oil until soft. Add carrots, potatoes, wine, sugar, and salt and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups corn.
- Add enough milk to just cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and puree gently with an immersion blender to desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture, in batches, to a regular blender and blend. Return to heat and add the remaining 1/2 cup of corn. Allow to cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6 servings
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 16.8g
- Sodium: 552mg
- Fat: 12.1g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Protein: 4.3g
Keywords: Vegan Corn Chowder
This was perfect for this cold, rainy spring day. If you are having similar weather where you are, I urge you to make this. It will make you feel better.
If you make this Vegan Corn Chowder recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try it, would you mind rating the recipe with stars when you leave a comment? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!