Do you know that being pregnant this time of year is hard? Like, really, really hard? Something sweet is being pushed my way every other second and it’s as if I have a built-in excuse to say, “Why not?” and indulge. Again and again.
I can still indulge in the regular, full-on holiday treats being passed my way once in a while, but having these kind of treats on hand helps me keep a balance. They satisfy my craving for the sweet confections of the season and sure feel like I’m indulging. Except they’re made with wholesome ingredients and are sweetened with dates instead of white sugar. 100% healthier than most of the Christmas treats you find out there.
The second best thing about these incredible little chocolate peppermint balls? You can have them made in 15 minutes. Need a last minute hostess gift? Need a sweet treat now? Don’t have time to make traditional holiday candies or cookies? Here you go.
No bake chocolate peppermint balls
No bake snacks to ease your sugar cravings!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 18 balls
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (scant) cups pitted dates (I used one 8 ounce package Sun Maid pitted dates)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 5-7 mini candy canes, crushed (look for a natural variety without food dyes)
- Put all ingredients except candy canes in a high-powered blender or food processor. Process until you have a smooth mixture. Place the crushed candy canes into a shallow bowl. Roll the date mixture into 2-teaspoon sized balls and then roll the balls in the crushed candy cane mixture to coat them. Use your fingers to press any bigger candy canes pieces that don’t stick on their own into the balls.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 11.6g
- Sodium: 127mg
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1g
- Protein: 5.6g
Keywords: healthy snack
I should add that these are equally good without the crunchy candy cane coating. If you just need a chocolate fix, go ahead and make them without the candy canes. You can even leave out the peppermint extract. That just gives them an extra minty flavor I was looking for. Either way, indulge!