If you love Mounds candy bars, you will love this Homemade Mounds Bar recipe. A dairy-free and gluten-free treat, this homemade candy bar is made with simple, real food ingredients!
Sometimes, you just need a candy bar. Am I right? Yes, I am right. There’s no way around it. There’s one chocolate bar that tempts me more than any other: The Mounds Bar. The dark chocolate coating with the sweet coconut filling is pretty much the most perfect combination on earth.
The ingredient list on the Mounds Bar, however, is laden with ingredients I’d rather not eat. The first ingredient on the list is corn syrup, while coconut is near the end (which means there’s not much real coconut in there), and the middle of the list is flooded with chemical preservatives. Also on the list is hydrolyzed milk protein. This means the protein was processed to a different structure than nature intended and MSG is almost certainly present.
This is why ingredients lists are more important, in my mind, than nutritional labels. If you put the nutritional label of a Mounds Candy bar next to the nutritional label of my Homemade Mounds Bar, you would see very similar calorie, fat, carbohydrate, and protein counts. The ingredients, however, and how your body handles them, are very different.
The good news is that this Homemade Mounds Bar recipe couldn’t be easier! First, you just need to stir a few ingredients together to make the filling.
Shape into little bars and put them in the freezer to harden. I like to give them about an hour so they are easy to coat with the dark chocolate.
When creating recipes, there are always a few dilemmas. For this recipe, my dilemma was: should I use a whole can of coconut milk and end up with a huge batch or use half a can and have a more reasonably-sized batch of bars? I decided to use the whole can because I dislike having to find a use for half a can of anything and I equally hate wasting food. The big batch is not a problem, though, because these are perfect for storing in the freezer!
If you are a chocolate coconut lover like me, you need to make these! These Homemade Mounds Bars are one of my all-time favorite treats.Print
Homemade (Healthier) Mounds Bar Recipe
These Homemade Mounds Bars are dairy-free and so easy to make! Keep them in the freezer to have a special treat ready whenever you need it.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 40
- Category: dessert
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup raw honey (try maple syrup to make these vegan)
- 2 (9 ounce) bags high-quality dark chocolate (dairy-free if needed)
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut milk, shredded coconut, coconut flour, and honey.
- Shape the mixture into bars and place on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Place the bars into the freezer for at least one hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips, either in the microwave or using a double boiler.
- Dip the frozen bars into the dark chocolate, scraping off the chocolate with a knife or spoon so it isn’t too thick.
- Allow the chocolate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer. These are best served chilled as the chocolate will start to melt if left at room temperature too long.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Sodium: 6.7mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1.4g
Links to products are affiliate links. I will receive a percentage of the sale, at no additional cost to you, if you purchase through my links. Thank you for supporting Happy Healthy Mama!