Take your summer grilling to the next level with these Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Burgers!
This post was originally published in the summer of 2011. I’ve updated some photos (but left the older photos also–it’s interesting to see the evolution of my photography, isn’t it?) and added some notes about recipe modifications that can be made. Enjoy!
There’s something about summer that just begs me to make burgers. I’ll admit that when I’m not pregnant I prefer a good veggie burger or portobello mushroom burger. Meat shows up in my diet a lot more when I’m pregnant, however, and these turkey burgers are worth sharing.No matter what kind of burger, I like it with cheese and loaded with fixings. This burger is unique in that the cheese is stuffed inside the burger. It’s like a special surprise when you bite in and get a gooey mouthful of cheese.
How can you go wrong when there is melty cheese waiting for you inside the burger? Add fresh basil to the turkey and you have a summer-grill-worthy burger the whole family will love.
I have made these with both shredded mozzarella you buy in the bag and fresh mozzarella. Both work great so use whichever you have! Here is how it looks when you use shredded cheese (old pictures):
And this is how it looks when you use fresh mozzarella (showing the recipe doubled):
Although Meghan won’t eat a burger in the form of a burger yet, it was easy to cut her small pieces of the turkey. These are great for the whole family.
UPDATE: Now Meghan loves these burgers and Luke is the one who won’t eat a burger in burger form yet. Funny! Will everyone in your family love these? I’d love to know!Print
Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Burgers
These Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Burgers are a healthy way to enjoy summer grilling! So much flavor!!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 burgers 1x
- Method: grilling
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 6 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese or fresh mozzarella
- Combine first five ingredients.
- Separate the turkey into four equal parts and make an indentation in the middle of each part.
- Place approximately 1 1/2 tablespoon of cheese inside each indentation.
- Carefully fold the turkey in half and use your fingers to create a seam on the edge of the meat to seal in the cheese. Now use your hands to form the meat into a patty shape.
- Grill your burgers on direct medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Be careful as they will dry out quickly if you overcook them! Check for doneness and serve with your favorite toppings on your favorite whole grain or gluten-free bun. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 burger
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fat: 14 grams
- Carbohydrates: 1 gram
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 28 grams
If you make this recipe, I would really love to see it! Please snap a quick picture and share it on the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page or on your Instagram and tag me @happyhealthymama Thanks, friend!
Would you like to save this recipe for later? Here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board.